Ryedale District Council

You are here: Home Residents Council tax and benefits Council tax Council tax band reductions

Council tax band reductions


If you, or someone who lives with you, need a room, an extra bathroom, kitchen, or extra space for wheelchair circulation in your property to meet special needs arising from a disability, you may be entitled to a reduced Council Tax bill. The bill may be reduced to that of a property in the band immediately below the band shown on the valuation list.

These reductions ensure that disabled people do not pay more tax on account of space needed because of a disability. To apply for a reduction, please complete an online Disabled Relief application form.

If you need to know more information about any Disability Benefits you may be entitled to, visit GOV.UK. If you need to know how this may affect any claim for Council Tax Support, contact the Benefits Services at the Council.

The valuation of a property is based upon property values as at 1 April 1991 - recent purchase prices are therefore not necessarily the best evidence. There are only limited occasions when taxpayers can challenge their banding, these include:

  • after demolition/conversions of houses to flats
  • physical changes in the locality affecting value
  • and within six months of:
    • a band change to your property made by the Listing Officer
    • a band change to a similar property to yours made by the Court
    • becoming a new taxpayer

Your Council Tax bill will state which band applies to your dwelling and will also show the percentage change for all precepting authorities in relation to the preceding year.

 Valuation Band  Range of Values  Proportion of Band D
A  Up to £40,000 6/9ths
B  £40,001 - £52,000 7/9ths
C  £52,001 - £68,000 8/9ths
D  £68,001 - £88,000 9/9ths
E  £88,001 - £120,000 11/9ths
F  £120,001 - £160,000 13/9ths
G  £160,001 - £320,000 15/9ths
H  More than £320,000  18/9ths

If bandings are challenged, taxpayers must still continue to pay the current bill until any appeal is settled. Visit GOV.UK for more information on appeals.



Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

© Ryedale District Council 2017

Connect with us

You are here: Home Residents Council tax and benefits Council tax Council tax band reductions