Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Living Here Housing Private housing Home improvement grants and loans

Home improvement grants and loans


This grant is to help people alleviate fuel poverty by helping with the cost of loft, cavity wall insulation and upgrading heating systems to meet the Decent Homes Standard.


To be eligible for EEG assistance you must normally:

  • Be in receipt of income related benefits or a low income
  • For help with heating, you must own your own home, your dwelling must be in Council Tax band A, B or C and the existing heating system must be beyond repair.
  • For help with loft or cavity wall insulation an owner or tenant can apply.
  • Have lived in the property for 3 years or more

What type of work will normally be grant aided?

Improved insulation measures:

  • Insulation to the roof space
  • Draught proofing to windows and outside doors
  • Insulation to the hot water cylinder
  • Insulation using polybeads for non– traditional cavity walls

Improvements to heating systems:

  • Provision of gas, electric, oil or other central heating system with boiler and up to 5 radiators, including all pipe work.
  • Repairs to the existing heating system.
  • Conversion or alteration of a solid fuel open fire or stove

Who decides how much will be paid?

The cost of the works is based on competitive estimates and will be assessed by the Council.

Grant aid is available for 100% of the qualifying works of up to £6,500.

What if the work costs more than the maximum grant?

Any costs above the maximum allowed will be for the applicant to pay.

What if I'm not eligible?

Your details will be referred to a nominated contractor for advice

For further information please submit an Enquiry Form.


This loan has been developed to enable vulnerable home owners to bring their property to a good standard of repair and maintenance.


To be eligible for a loan the applicant must:

  • Be over 18
  • Have lived in the property for more than 3 years prior to making the application
  • Have an owners' interest in the property
  • Be in receipt of certain benefits or on a low income

What types of work are covered?

These would encompass works to achieve a property to a good standard of repair

  • Be in a reasonable state of repair i.e roof, windows and door repair electrical safety, structural defects
  • Crime prevention measures
  • Have reasonably modern facilities and services, i.e. kitchen and bathroom
  • By providing a reasonable degree of thermal comfort, insulation and programmable heating
  • is free from any category 1 hazard as determined by the Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS)
  • An administration fee of 7.5% fee will be charged and added to the loan

Will a survey be required?

As part of the loan, Council Officers will undertake a survey of the property and provide the applicant with a list of required works.

What aid is available?

The maximum loan is normally £7,500 and restricted to one application within a 5 year period.

Is the loan repayable?

The loan is repaid in full on sale or transfer of the property, with an option of early repayment available.

What happens if the works exceed the maximum aid available?

If the works cost more than £7,500 including the fee, then in exceptional circumstances and at the Council's discretion this can be increased.

There are limited finances available for assistance each year and all enquiries are dealt with in date order.

Please note that you will not normally receive any assistance if you start work before the Council approves your application.

You should also make sure that you separately secure any planning or building regulation approvals that may be required.

For further information please submit an Enquiry Form.


The Yorkshire and Humber Regional Home Loans Service is a loan scheme administered by local authorities to enable them to help owner-occupiers afford work that may be required on their homes. The loan can enable the homeowner to enjoy a decent home.

Who can apply for the loan?

  • Any homeowner who is vulnerable i.e. elderly, on low income, in poor health and unable to access commercial loans

What’s it for?

  • Essential work where the health and safety of the occupant is at risk e.g. faulty electrical wiring or a leaking roof
  • Work that can bring the property to a decent standard e.g. fitting a modern bathroom or kitchen
  • To help meet the cost of any contribution that the homeowner may have to pay for disability adaptation work where grant funding is exceeded

How does it work?

  • The Council will help the applicant to determine what works can be included within the loan and assist with the application process
  • There are no monthly repayments
  • The loan will be calculated as a percentage of your house value. This percentage would normally be repaid when the property is sold. There is a maximum cap on what the homeowner would need to repay, to protect against cases of extreme house price rises

For further information please submit an Enquiry Form.


Major Adaptations

If you have a disability and have difficulty managing in your home, it may be possible to reduce these problems by altering or adapting your home. You may be eligible for a grant to assist you with the cost of these works.

Referrals for grants are made by North Yorkshire County Council's Occupational Therapy team and are assessed and processed by the White Rose Home Improvement Agency.

Disabled facilities grants help disabled and elderly people to live more comfortably and independently in their own homes.

A disabled facilities grant can be used to:

  • make it easier for you to get in and out of your home
  • make access to your living room, bedroom, kitchen or bathroom easier
  • provide suitable bathroom, sleeping and kitchen facilities that meet your needs
  • adapt heating and lighting controls for ease of use
  • provide you with adequate heating to meet you medical condition
  • make your home safer

Assessing your needs

North Yorkshire County Council will visit your home to assess your needs. Depending on the outcome, a referral may be made to the Home Improvement Agency and we will then assess the work, obtain quotations, approve grant applications and oversee the adaptation process.

Means-tested grants of up to £30,000 are available to home owners and tenants to enable the recommended adaptations to take place.

If you fail to qualify, we can still support you through the adaptation process.

To enquire about a grant fill in the online form (WRHIA website) or call 01723 232323.

More information about Disabled Facilities Grants is available at GOV.UK.

Housing Grant, Construction, and Regeneration Act 1996 Grant Conditions (PDF, 2 pages, 31kb)


An Energy Repayment Loan (ERL) is an interest free loan paid back on a monthly basis over a period of between six months to five years. The funding is available to help homeowners carry out essential energy efficiency works to their properties to address excess cold and fuel poverty.

Home owners can borrow from £300 up to £3,000 - which can be used for such works as; a new central heating system, replacement windows, top up loft and cavity wall insulation, additional radiators etc. All works will be carried out through the White Rose Home Improvement Agency using approved contractors.

To qualify for assistance an applicant must:

  • be aged 18 or over
  • have a gross income of less than £25,000 per annum or be in receipt of Council Tax Reduction or a Means Tested Benefit



Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn