Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Living Here Council tax and benefits Council tax Council tax account enquiries

Council tax account enquiries

Revenues Services provides householders with information relating to their council tax and payments. This may include information on payments, arrears, discount eligibility etc. and copies of bills.


The basic Council Tax bill is made up of two elements: 50% property and 50% personal. The 50% personal element is applied on the basis that two or more people reside in the property. The person liable to pay the Council Tax is the person who first fits one of the descriptions listed below. More than one person can be held liable if they are on the same level. Husbands and wives, or unmarried partners may also be jointly and severally liable. Only persons aged 18 years or over can be made liable.

  • Resident Owner
  • Resident Tenant
  • Resident Secure Tenant
  • Resident with contractual licence to occupy (ie tied accommodation)
  • Resident (ie squatter)

In some instances the owner of a property will always be held liable rather than the residents. The classes of property to which fall into this category are listed below.

Class A: A Residential Care Home, Nursing Home, Mental Nursing Home or Hostel.
Class B: A dwelling inhabited solely by a relevant Religious Community.
Class C: A dwelling which is in multiple-occupation where each separate part does not constitute a self contained dwelling for banding purposes.
Class D: A dwelling inhabited by persons employed in domestic service where the employer occupies the dwelling on occasions.
Class E: A dwelling inhabited solely by a Minister of any Religious denomination from where he/she performs the duties of his/her office.
Class F: Dwellings provided for asylum seekers.


Direct Debit - Should you wish to pay by Direct Debit please complete the online Direct Debit mandate. Should you need help or other advice with the mandate, please submit an Enquiry Form.

Cash Payments - You may pay at any Post Office or retail outlet where you see the PayPoint symbol. PayPoint You will need to take Post Officeyour bill with you as it has a unique barcode printed on the front. To find your nearest outlet, please visit Allpay.

Telephone with Debit and Credit Card Payment - Payment of accounts can now be made by debit/credit cards on the Council's 24 hour freephone payment service 0800 0351566. Please ensure you have your account reference number to hand.

Internet Payments - Payment can be made using the Council's Online Payments where most major credit and debit cards can be accepted.


If you are having difficulty making payments we urge you to contact Revenues and Benefits Services as soon as possible on 01653 600666. Many problems can be avoided by contacting the Revenues Services when you receive your annual demand. We have a duty to collect Council Tax from people who owe it.

Missed Instalment - If payment is not made within seven days of the instalment date, the Council can start recovery proceedings.

Reminder - If a payment is overdue, a reminder is issued for the arrears amount. If payment is then made within seven days, the instalments continue. If you cannot bring your payments up to date within seven days, you will be issued with a Final Notice where the right to pay by instalments is lost and the full amount becomes payable.

Final Notice - If the amount shown on a Reminder Notice is not paid in full or if an instalment is missed after a Second Reminder has been sent, a Final Notice is issued for the Full amount of Council Tax still outstanding for the year. The right to pay by monthly instalments is lost and unless the whole amount due is paid within seven days a Summons will be issued and additional costs incurred.

Summons - If the amount shown on a Final Notice is not paid within seven days a Court Summons will be sent for the balance outstanding for the year, plus additional costs. If full payment is made to the Council before the Court Date, including the costs, then no further action is taken. If full payment is not made the case is presented to the Magistrates' Court and additional costs incurred. Although the Summon requests attendance at Court, if an arrangement is made before the hearing it is not necessary to appear but Court action will continue and additional costs will be added.

Liability Order - The Court normally grants the Council a Liability Order, which gives the Council several options for recovery. Initially questionnaires are sent requesting a payment arrangement, employment details or details of any benefit being received. A Liability Order enables the Council to recover the outstanding balance by Attachment of Earnings, deductions through Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance or Pension Credit. The Council can also instruct external enforcement agents to take control of any goods which you own and sell them ion order to clear the debt. It is also possible, in some cases, to start insolvency proceedings (leading to bankruptcy), apply for a charge on a property or to start proceedings for committal to prison. The withholding of information or failure to notify the Council of any change of Employment may result in further court action being taken against you.

Attachment of Earnings - A notification is sent to the employer along with a copy of The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 ordering deductions to be made from wages/salary in accordance with a scale, which is fixed by law. Copies are also sent to the debtor concerned. Employers can deduct a further £1.00 administration cost per order for each deduction they make. The council can request a maximum of two attachments at any time.

Attachment of Benefit - Deductions for Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Guaranteed Pension Credit or Employment and Support Allowance. A notification is sent to the Department of Works and Pensions requesting weekly deductions and a copy of the notification is also sent to the debtor.

Enforcement Agents - The Council uses enforcement agencies to recover unpaid Council Tax. Once it has been passed over to the enforcement agent the Council will not enter into any further arrangement for payment, instead the enforcement agent will administer the case. The enforcement agent will attempt to contact the debtor directly and extra costs will be incurred. If the debtor cannot pay the debt in full the enforcement agent will normally be willing to make an arrangement.

The costs associated with the use of an enforcement agent are shown here (PDF, 1 page, 84kb)

Committal to Prison - If the enforcement agent is unable to obtain payment, the debt will be returned to the Council. In order for an inquiry to be made, to establish the debtor's means and whether non-payment is due to refusal or neglect, a Summons may be issued requesting the debtor's attendance at Court which will incur additional costs. Depending on the circumstances the Court may tell the debtor how much to pay each week or issue a warrant for commitment to prison. If a debtor does not pay as ordered by the Court they may have to appear before the Court again and could be sent to prison.

Insolvency - A debt due under a Liability Order is a debt for the purposes of Insolvency and so, depending on the outstanding balance, the Council could petition for the debtor to be declared bankrupt which could lead to the assets of an individual or company being seized and sold to clear the debt and all costs incurred.

Charging Orders - Depending on the amount outstanding the Council can apply to the County Court for a charge to be registered against a property so that the debt is paid out of the proceeds of sale.

If necessary, the Council can apply to the County Court for an Order for Sale against any final Charging Order which has been secured.


If you cannot pay your Council Tax and want to discuss your arrears, then please submit an Enquiry Form for advice and information.

If you have a query regarding a letter or visit from Rossendales Ltd or Bristow & Sutor, who are the Council's appointed enforcement agencies you should contact them direct at:

Rossendales Ltd, Wavell House, Holcombe Road, Helmshore, Rossendale, Lancashire BB4 4NB
Telephone 0844 701 3980 Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.30pm and Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm or email .

Bristow & Sutor, Barfleet Road, Washford, Redditch, Worcestershire B98 0FL
Telephone 08716770071 or Email .

If you are on a low income you may be eligible for help with your Council Tax and/or rent. Please submit an Enquiry Form for advice and information.



Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn