Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Living Here Council tax and benefits Benefits Benefits advice and assessment

Benefits advice and assessment

Our Benefit advisors offer benefit assessment and provide advice about entitlement to welfare benefits to individuals in receipt of benefit or claiming benefit.

What can it be used for?
Housing Benefit can help with rent payable to private landlords or housing associations.

Who can receive it?
Claimants who receive Income Support, Earnings Support Allowance, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance or the Guarantee Pension Credit are entitled to maximum Housing Benefit. Claimants with all other types of income will have their claim assessed based on their income and savings. In all these cases it will be necessary to supply up to date proof of all income, and savings. You can apply for Housing Benefit if you have capital/savings of £16,000 or less, or if you have more than this and are receiving Guarantee Pension Credit.

Log onto our benefits calculator to find out if you might qualify before completing an application form.

A number of advice leaflets are available to download below.

What can I receive?
The amount of benefit available to you varies as this is a means tested benefit and is based on your financial and personal circumstances.

Welfare Reforms 2013 onwards

The Welfare Reform Act 2012 introduced the most fundamental reforms to the social security system for 60 years, aiming for a simpler, fairer benefits system and to ensure work pays.

There were a number of major changes introduced in 2013 as follows:


Claims for Universal Credit in Ryedale commenced in 2015 for new claimants who are:

  • Single
  • British national or normally resident in Great Britain
  • Have a valid National Insurance Number
  • Working age 18 years - 60 years +6mths
  • Have a bank or building society account
  • Not be homeless or in supported housing
  • Not own their own home (including part ownership)
  • Not have more than £6000 savings and capital

Universal Credit provides a new single system of means-tested support for working-age people in and out of work. Support for housing costs, children and childcare costs are integrated in the new benefit. It also provides elements for disabled people and carers.

Existing means-tested benefits that are no longer paid include income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Housing Benefit.

For those in work, financial support will be withdrawn at a single transparent rate as earnings increase, to ensure that work always pays and is seen to pay.

Claims for Universal Credit are expected to be made online (by default) with payment of Universal Credit direct to the household.


From 2013 there were changes in the way Housing Benefit is calculated for people who rent their home from the local council, a housing association or another provider of social housing. The regulations are for working age customers. Pensioners were not be affected by the new rules.

There are restrictions on the size of property Housing Benefit will pay for, based on who lives in the property. If someone has more bedrooms in their accommodation than they need according to the new rules, they are considered to be "under-occupying" that property and a percentage reduction will be applied to their eligible rent and service charges.

The rules allow one bedroom for:

  • every adult couple (married or unmarried)
  • any other adult aged 16 or over
  • any two children of the same sex aged under 16
  • any two children aged under 10
  • any other child

The amount of the percentage reduction depends on how many extra bedrooms you have:

  • 14% if you have one extra bedroom
  • 25% if you have two or more extra bedrooms

The size limit rules apply to anyone who is of working age and receives Housing Benefit for property where the landlord is a housing association or local council.

For a more detailed account of these changes and any other questions you may have there is a frequently asked questions for Social Size Criteria available to download at the bottom of the page or email Benefit Services. A leaflet is also available to download on The National Housing Federation website.


From 2013 Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans for general living expenses which form part of the discretionary Social Fund were abolished and replaced with the North Yorkshire Local Assistance Fund. For the Ryedale area the new provision (Local Welfare Assistance) is the responsibility of North Yorkshire County Council and you can download a leaflet from their website.


The Benefit Cap is a limit on the total out of work benefits that a family unit can receive, with the aim being to ensure that workless households will no longer receive more in benefits than average working families (combined income after tax and national insurance)

A cap on the amount of benefit a household may receive, so that these are in line with average weekly earnings (£500 per week for couples and lone parent households and £350 per week for single households).

The Benefits Cap does not apply where someone is entitled to:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance and its replacement Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Employment and Support Allowance where the Support Component has been awarded.
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • War Widow's/ Widower's Pension
  • Working Tax Credit

There is a grace period of 39 weeks when the cap will not apply for people who have been in work for 52 weeks or more (and have lost their job through no fault of their own) before they claim benefit.

Any excess amount over cap will be deducted from Housing Benefit.

Crisis Loan alignment payments were replaced with a new national payment on account scheme.


As part of Welfare Reform, Council Tax Benefit was being abolished and from 2013 was replaced with local schemes but will not form part of Universal Credit.

The Government is reducing annual grant payments for Council Tax support made to Local Authorities by 10% of current levels aiming to save £480 million annually and the grant will be cash limited.

Each local billing authority has to design and implement its own Localised Support for Council Tax (LSCT) scheme, which will mean reduced financial assistance for working age people towards paying their Council Tax bills.

Pensioners are fully protected at the same levels of support as they received under Council Tax Benefit.

Any further information you may need about making a claim can be found in our Council Tax Support new claim webpage.


Personal Independence Payment (PIP) has been introduced for all new claims. This replaced Disability Living Allowance. The non-means tested payment helps with extra costs incurred and a new independent assessment will ensure support is targeted at those who need it.

Awards of Personal Independence Payment are based upon the circumstances of the individual and look at the impact of their disability or health condition on the ability to live independently and participate in society.

Over time, more than 2 million existing Disability Living Allowance claimants will be contacted to check their eligibility for the new Personal Independence Payment (PIP). The new fairer independent assessment will be delivered by a contracted provider and will help ensure financial support is better targeted. There will be a full roll-out of managed reassessment claims.

Further information on Personal Independence Payments is available direct from the Department for Work and Pensions.

Information on any of these Welfare Reforms can be found on GOV.UK.



Attachments (downloads)
FileNo of pagesFile sizeCreated
Download this file (Benefits_people_aged_65_plus.pdf)Benefits for people aged 65+6633 kB05-2018
Download this file (Benefits_disabled_working_age.pdf)Benefits if you are disabled and of working age6658 kB05-2018
Download this file (CTax_fraud.pdf)Council Tax - Council tax fraud2879 kB09-2015
Download this file (SSSR_ FAQ_210213.pdf)Frequently asked questions for Social Size Criteria 415 kB11-2013
Download this file (HB_CT_backdated_ben_reduction.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - backdated benefit or reduction2952 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_two_homes.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - benefit on two homes2882 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_reduction_away_home.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - benefit reduction when you are away from home21036 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_change_circs.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - change in circumstances2966 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_reduction_extended_pay.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - extended payments2965 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_how_claim.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - how to claim2956 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_reduction_non_depend.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - non dependant deductions2915 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_overpayment.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - overpayments2908 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_person_abroad.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - persons from abroad2838 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_self_employed.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - self employed2978 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_students.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - students2956 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_decision_appeal.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - understanding our decision and making an appeal2941 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_when_start.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - when will my benefit and reduction start?2945 kB10-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_will_qualify.pdf)HB and CTax Reduction - will you qualify2969 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_people_work.pdf)HB and Ctax Reductions - benefits and reductions for people who work2972 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_CT_discretionary_payment.pdf)HB and Universal Credit - discretionary payments2942 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_TX_landlord_guide.pdf)Housing benefit and council tax reduction - a landlord's guide161163 kB09-2015
Download this file (HB_fraud.pdf)Housing benefit fraud2867 kB09-2015
Download this file (Uni_credit_CTax_reduction.pdf)How Universal Credit affects council tax reduction2985 kB09-2015
Download this file (LHA_tenants_guide.pdf)Local Housing Allowance - information for tenants6236 kB09-2015
Download this file (LHA_making_payments.pdf)Local Housing Allowance - making payments4208 kB09-2015
Download this file (Uni_credit_housing_benefit.pdf)Universal credit and housing benefit - what to do if you claim housing benefit21004 kB09-2015

Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn