Do I need planning permission?
It’s best to check whether you need planning permission for your project. You can find lots of helpful advice on our do I need planning permission page.
If you know you need planning permission, you can find more advice on what to do here.
How do I send a planning application?
Use our online Planning Portal to quickly and easily submit your planning application. You can complete your application form, attach supporting documents and pay your fee online, saving you the cost of printing and posting.
Visit our Planning Portal and send your planning application.
What is permitted development?
Certain works can be carried out without planning permission. This is called permitted development. Our Planning Portal gives you advice including interactive tools and mini guides to common projects.
What do I need to submit with my application?
- If you choose to send a paper version of your planning application, we only need one copy of each document
- For major applications, we may ask for additional copies of plans and documents
How do I pay my planning application fee?
Use our fee calculator to easily find out what fee you need to pay for your planning application. You can find it on our planning portal.
If you choose to submit your application in person, or in the post, you can pay in the following ways:
- By debit card over the telephone by calling 01653 600666 (applications made online should quote the planning portal reference number allocated during submission)
- By credit card over the telephone by calling 01653 600666 (applications made online should quote the planning portal reference number allocated during submission)
- By BACS (Bankers’ Automated Clearing Services) payment, please contact us for the necessary details. Please note when paying by BACS it is important that you clearly reference your payment for Planning Services
- By cheque made payable to Ryedale District Council
How much does it cost?
Do I need to think about building regulations?
As well as planning permission, you might need building regulations for your development.
For advice about building regulations, contact the North Yorkshire Building Control Partnership.
Where else can I go for advice and support?
Planning Aid England offers free, independent professional planning advice and support. They believe everyone should have the opportunity to get involved in planning their local area, and provide people with the knowledge and tools to do this.
Need more help?
You might like to take a look at these helpful guides:
- A guide to the planning process
- Guidance notes for hardstandings (hard surfaces)
- Guidance notes for larger home extensions
- Householder prior approval notification list of requirements
- Planning code of practice
How do I get in touch if I need help?
Our office hours are: 9.00am to 4.00pm Monday to Friday.
Take a look in our resources section and filter the search for planning to see what other useful documents we have.