Our Dual Driver’s Licence gives you the flexibility to drive either a hackney carriage taxi or private hire vehicle.
Who can apply for a Dual driver’s licence?
- You must already have a DVLA driver’s licence
- You must be fit and well
- You must be over 18 and have had your licence for over a year
- You must meet the requirements of our Taxi and Private Hire Policy
How do I apply for the licence?
- Applications must be made online. Fill out your form here: Driver application form (online form)
- You can get help here: Guidance notes for applicant
- We will check your criminal record with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- You will also be asked to sit a test. You can read more about this here: Knowledge and geographical test information
- Once you have sent your online application form, please contact us on 01653 600666 ext. 244 to make an appointment to complete your application
What will happen at my application appointment?
You’ll need to bring the following information with you to your appointment:
- Evidence of Identity for immigration status check
- Medical questionnaire. This must be less than a year old and dated by your GP
- Your Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application, evidence of identity or a DBS disclosure that is less than six months old
- Your DVLA Photocard Driving Licence
- DVLA Driving Licence check code
- A recent passport sized photograph
- A utility bill/bank statement (less than 3 months old)
There are two stages to your application appointment:
- We will check your application and immigration status to make sure we have all the information we need. Please note your DBS disclosure can take up to eight weeks to arrive.
- We will give you a date and time for your Knowledge and Geographical Test.
- Once you have successfully passed your Knowledge and Geographical Test and you have sent away your DBS disclosure, your application will go to the Licensing Authority
- If your application is approved, you will receive your licence in the post within ten working days
- You will also be sent a date and time to attend your Safeguarding Course
- Licences last for three years
- If you are over 65, you will need a medical test every year
Your safeguarding training course
Once your licence has been approved, we will send you an appointment for your safeguarding training course. You must complete this training within six months and send us proof. If you don’t complete the course, you may lose your licence.