To celebrate this unprecedented anniversary, events and initiatives are taking place throughout the year, culminating in a four day UK bank holiday weekend from Thursday 2 to Sunday 5 June.
The bank holiday will provide an opportunity for communities and people throughout the United Kingdom to come together to celebrate the historic milestone.
To help communities, businesses and visitors celebrate this historic anniversary, we will update this page with information of events and initiatives planned in Ryedale.
Events in Ryedale
There will be lots of events at Helmsley Castle (free entrance for Helmsley parish/electorate) and Helmsley will be decorated.
Jubilee Arty Crafty Day – 5-12yrs, Thu 2 Jun | 10am – 12pm / 12.30 – 2.30pm / 2.30 – 4.30pm | £5 per 2 hour workshop
Join Helmsley Arts Centre for 1, 2 or 3 mega, messy, crafty, painty, foldy, sticky, papery FUN art workshops inspired by The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee 2022!
They are running three sessions through the day full of brilliant art activities that you can dip into and go crazy with your creations all with the helping hand of artist Tabitha Grove. Book as many sessions as you like and enjoy the day! Children 5 to 7 must be accompanied by an adult. If you’ve booked both session one and two, please bring a pack up!
Helmsley Castle has a family event on from 11am to mid afternoon. It’s free entry for all Helmsley electoral Parish households. Take part in the best dressed King and Queen, Prince and Princess competition. There will be races, best decorated Jubilee cake, a jubilee quiz, flag making, face painting, glitter tattoos and crown making. Please bring your own picnic and chairs/rugs.
Programme and times available soon.
Helmsley Town Council
Helmsley Town Council will hold a public proclamation on 2nd June from the balcony of Helmsley Town Hall at 2pm. It will be delivered by the Helmsley Town Crier, Mr David Hinde – over 145 town criters are taking part across the UK & Commonwealth. Find out more at helmsleytowncouncil.co.uk.
On the days leading up to the Jubilee there will be the opportunity to follow the Jubilee scarecrow trail throughout the town and go on a treasure hunt, looking for clues in the shop windows. For those who want to test their Royal knowledge there will also be a Queen’s Quiz sheet. An exhibition by Kirkbymoorside History Group ’70 Years of Kirkbymoorside’ will be on display at The Memorial Hall on Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 June. There will be free parking in the Town Farm car park from 2 – 5 June 2022
On Saturday 4th June:
10am Open invitation to Squash and Bowls Club at the sports field (New Road off the A170) – details to be confirmed.
11.30 A fancy dress parade will be led by Kirkbymoorside Town Brass Band from the sports field to Market Place via Old Road.
12 – 2pm Jubilee Fair at Old Road play area including bouncy castle, ice cream van, sweet van and other activities/stalls.
3pm Complimentary Tea at the Library
12 – 3pm Activities and entertainment in the town centre including:
- Performances by Kirkbymoorside Town Brass Band throughout the afternoon
- Open Studios exhibition @ the Moorside Room
- 70 Years of Kirkbymoorside exhibition by Kirkbymoorside History Group @ the Memorial Hall
- Display of Queen’s portrait art competition entries @ the Memorial Hall
- Fancy Dress competition
- 2.45pm Final performance by Kirkbymoorside Town Brass Band
The Moorside Bar and Club
2.30pm – late BBQ and outdoor disco, fancy dress competition, face painting, tombola and other stalls
8.30pm Music from Bootleg Buddy
On Sunday 5th June:
The Moorside Bar and Club
3pm Treasure hunt with food at the finish. Entry £1.50 per adult and 50p per child over 5.
On Sunday 5 June the Parish Council are organising a street party at the Village Hall. A modest amount of food and refreshments will be provided but attendees are asked to bring a plate of sweet or savoury food with them. To RSVP email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be:
- Platinum pudding competition Make your favourite or create a new pudding, dessert or cake fit for the Queen. All puddings must be delivered to the Village Hall by 10.30am on Sunday 5 June and the winner will be announced at 1.30pm.
- Royal portrait art competition On Saturday 4 June from 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 6pm you can attend the Village Hall to create a portrait of the Queen. All materials will be provided. The winner will be announced at 1.30pm on Sunday 5 June and entries will be on display.
- Tree planting ceremony On Sunday 5 June special guests will plant two saplings as part of the Queen’s Green Canopy initiative in Lockton Village Hall Gardens.
- Royal raffle will be drawn at 3pm on Sunday 5 June in The Square as part of the street party. Tickets can be purchased from Lockton Team Rooms from now and at the Village Hall all Jubilee weekend.
- Lockton Artists’ Exhibition A selection of work by the Lockton Artists will be on display at The Village Hall from 10am to 6pm on Saturday 4 June and 10am to 5pm on Sunday 5 June.
Malton Town Council is not hosting any events for the Queen’s Jubilee. Instead, union jack bunting will be installed onto the overhead lighting festoon on Wheelgate and Yorkersgate and the train station.
St Peter’s Church is holding a Jubilee Jamboree on Sunday 5 June from 12 noon to 3pm with free entry. Afterward, there will be Pentecost Celebrations from 3-4pm.
There will be a hog roast, tea, coffee, cake, live music, games, an inflatable bungee run and kid’s crafts and races. Entrance is free.
A ‘Picnic in the Park’ will take place at the Community Park off Whitby Road on Sunday 5 June from 11am-4pm. There will be fairground rides for the children, a refreshment stall, ice cream van and music. Families are encouraged to bring a picnic.
Street Party in Middleton on Sunday 5 June at 3pm. Bring a chair and your own drinks. Refreshments served such as sandwiches, cakes, ice crea, tea & coffee. Parking is restricted.
The Parish Council are planning a street party.
A Beacon lighting will take place in Sherburn.
A Beacon lighting will take place at the top of the Market Place from 9.30pm-10pm, this will include Stape Silver Band and St. Joseph's school choir.
Find out how to order a beacon, or what to do to plan a beacon lighting event.