Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Business Health and safety at work Accident reporting

Accident reporting

If you are an employer, self-employed or in control of work premises you are required under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR) to report work related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences.

The information gathered helps the Local Authority and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to identify where and how risks arise and to prevent recurrence and prevent further pain and suffering to employees.

You must report any/all of the following:

  • a death
  • a major injury
  • an over-three-day injury (this is when an employee or self-employed person has an accident at work and is unable to work for over three days but does not have a major injury)
  • a work-related disease
  • a dangerous occurrence
  • where a member of the public is taken directly to hospital


All time limits for reporting accidents vary depending on the severity and the guide below should be followed.

  • where the accident has resulted in someone's death or a major injury we need to be notified immediately (see time limits for reporting);
  • over 3-day injuries need to be reported within 10 days
  • as soon as possible after the doctor has diagnosed a work related disease
  • dangerous occurrences need to be reported immediately (see time limits for reporting)



  • Fracture other than to fingers, thumbs or toes
  • amputation
  • dislocation of the shoulder, hip, knee or spine
  • loss of sight (temporary or permanent)
  • chemical or hot metal burn to the eye or any penetrating injury to the eye
  • injury resulting from electric shock or electrical burn leading to unconsciousness or requiring resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
  • any other injury: leading to hypothermia, heat induced illness or unconscious; or requiring resuscitation; or requiring admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
  • unconsciousness caused by asphyxia or exposure to a harmful substance or biological agent
  • acute illness requiring medical treatment, or loss of consciousness arising from absorption of any substance by inhalation, ingestion or through the skin
  • acute illness requiring medical treatment where there is reason to believe that this resulted from exposure to a biological agent or its toxin or infected material
  • see the detailed guide to the Regulations (ISBN 07176 2431 5).


  • certain poisonings
  • some skin diseases such as occupational dermatitis, skin cancer, chrome ulcer, oil folliculitis/acne
  • lung diseases including occupational asthma, farmers lung, pneumoconiosis, asbestosis, mesothelioma
  • infections such as leptospirosis, hepatitis, tuberculosis, anthrax, Legionellosis and tetanus
  • other conditions such as; occupation cancer, certain musculoskeletal disorders, decompressions illness and hand-arm vibration syndrome
  • see the detailed guide to the Regulations (ISBN 07176 2431 5).


  • Collapse, overturning or failure of load-bearing parts of lifts and lifting equipment
  • explosion, collapse or bursting of any closed vessel or associated pipework
  • plant or equipment coming in to contact with overhead power lines
  • electrical short circuit or overload causing fire or explosion
  • accidental release of a biological agent likely to cause severe human illness
  • explosion or fire causing suspension of normal work for over 24 hours
  • unintended collapse of any building or structure under construction alteration or demolition where over 5 tonnes of material falls; a wall or floor in a place of work; any false work
  • accidental release of any substance which may damage health
  • see the detailed guide to the Regulations (ISBN 07176 2431 5).


Casualty Injury/incident type Person responsible for reporting Immediate report required? Written report within 10 days?
Employee Fatality Employer Yes Yes
Employee Major injury Employer Yes Yes
Employee Over 3 day injury Employer No Yes
Member of the public Fatality Person in control of the premises Yes Yes
Member of the public Taken directly to hospital Person in control of the premises Yes Yes
Employee Work related disease Employer No If possible
  Dangerous occurrence Employer Yes Yes


Contact details for the Incident Contact Centre

The RIDDOR Incident Contact Centre for reporting fatal/specified, and major incidents only. Telephone 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5 pm)

Contact details for Ryedale District Council

If your business falls into one of the categories described below and the accident has occurred there, please submit an Enquiry Form and we will investigate the incident.

  • office based
  • retail or wholesale
  • warehouse
  • hotel and catering
  • sports or leisure
  • residential accommodation, excluding nursing homes
  • concerned with places of worship
  • pre-school school care
  • mobile vending

Contact details for the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

If your business falls into one of the categories described below and the accident occurred there the HSE will investigate the incident.

  • construction sites
  • agricultural premises
  • motor vehicle repair premises
  • manufacturing premises
  • chemical plants
  • engineering works
  • nursing homes
  • hospitals, dentists etc
  • domestic premises



Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn