Ryedale District Council

You are here: Home All services Housing Private housing Home improvement grants and loans

Home improvement grants and loans

Information and advice on grants and loans which may be available (subject to meeting criteria) to help improve your home.


This grant is to help people alleviate fuel poverty by helping with the cost of loft, cavity wall insulation and upgrading heating systems to meet the Decent Homes Standard.


To be eligible for EEG assistance you must normally:

  • Be in receipt of income related benefits or a low income
  • For help with heating, you must own your own home, your dwelling must be in Council Tax band A, B or C and the existing heating system must be beyond repair.
  • For help with loft or cavity wall insulation an owner or tenant can apply.
  • Have lived in the property for 3 years or more

What type of work will normally be grant aided?

Improved insulation measures:

  • Insulation to the roof space
  • Draught proofing to windows and outside doors
  • Insulation to the hot water cylinder
  • Insulation using polybeads for non– traditional cavity walls

Improvements to heating systems:

  • Provision of gas, electric, oil or other central heating system with boiler and up to 5 radiators, including all pipe work.
  • Repairs to the existing heating system.
  • Conversion or alteration of a solid fuel open fire or stove

Who decides how much will be paid?

The cost of the works is based on competitive estimates and will be assessed by the Council.

Grant aid is available for 100% of the qualifying works of up to £3,000.

What if the work costs more than the maximum grant?

Any costs above the maximum allowed will be for the applicant to pay.

What if I'm not eligible?

Your details will be referred to a nominated contractor for advice

For further information please submit an Enquiry Form.


This loan has been developed to enable vulnerable home owners to bring their property to a good standard of repair and maintenance.


To be eligible for a loan the applicant must:

  • Be over 18
  • Have lived in the property for more than 3 years prior to making the application
  • Have an owners' interest in the property
  • Be in receipt of certain benefits or on a low income

What types of work are covered?

These would encompass works to achieve a property to a good standard of repair

  • Be in a reasonable state of repair i.e roof, windows and door repair electrical safety, structural defects
  • Crime prevention measures
  • Have reasonably modern facilities and services, i.e. kitchen and bathroom
  • By providing a reasonable degree of thermal comfort, insulation and programmable heating
  • is free from any category 1 hazard as determined by the Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS)
  • An administration fee of 7.5% fee will be charged and added to the loan

Will a survey be required?

As part of the loan, Council Officers will undertake a survey of the property and provide the applicant with a list of required works.

What aid is available?

The maximum loan is normally £7,500 and restricted to one application within a 5 year period.

Is the loan repayable?

The loan is repaid in full on sale or transfer of the property, with an option of early repayment available.

What happens if the works exceed the maximum aid available?

If the works cost more than £7,500 including the fee, then in exceptional circumstances and at the Council's discretion this can be increased.

There are limited finances available for assistance each year and all enquiries are dealt with in date order.

Please note that you will not normally receive any assistance if you start work before the Council approves your application.

You should also make sure that you separately secure any planning or building regulation approvals that may be required.

For further information please submit an Enquiry Form.


Ryedale District Council also provides Home Appreciation loans to assist owner-occupiers to carry out works to their homes.

The Home Appreciation Loan is a secured loan that allows you to release equity from your home to make repairs/improvements to your property. The loan does not become repayable until you transfer ownership of your house e.g if you sell your home.

For further information please submit an Enquiry Form.


If you have a disability and have difficulty managing in your home, it may be possible to reduce these problems by altering or adapting your home.

Referrals for grants are made by from North Yorkshire County Council's Occupational Therapy team and are assessed and processed on our behalf by the White Rose Home Improvement Agency. Full details are available on their website.

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant? 

A Disabled Facilities Grant is intended to enable disabled people to continue to live in their own homes by providing them with the necessary adaptations. The applicant need not be the disabled person himself, but must be the owner or tenant of the property to be adapted (eg a parent may apply on behalf of a child).

Grants may be mandatory or discretionary, depending on the work to be done, but all applicants are subject to a means test. The current grant limit is £30,000. The type of work covered by the grant may include:

  • work to provide improved access within the property, eg provision of stair lifts, widening of doorways, through floor lifts
  • providing downstairs bathroom facilities
  • providing ramps and handrails
  • providing showers with wheelchair access

Who is eligible for a Disabled Facility Grant?

  • You must be the owner of the dwelling or be a tenant and be able to provide the Council with an 'owner' or 'tenant' certificate. This does not have to be the disabled person for whom the works are required
  • A landlord can apply on behalf of a disabled tenant. The landlord will be required to sign a certificate stating that the tenant will occupy the dwelling as his or her only or main dwelling for a period of five years from completion of works

All applications are made through the recommendation of North Yorkshire County Council's Health and Social Care Services.

We are working in partnership with Scarborough Borough Council to deliver this service to residents of both Ryedale and Scarborough. For further information please email the White Rose Home Improvement Agency or telephone 01723 232527.

More information about Disabled Facilities Grants is available at GOV.UK.

Housing Grant, Construction, and Regeneration Act 1996 Grant Conditions (PDF, 2 pages, 31kb)



Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

You are here: Home All services Housing Private housing Home improvement grants and loans