Ryedale District Council

You are here: Home All services Housing Improvements and repairs Housing repairs

Housing repairs

The Council is a non stock holding authority but several Housing Associations provide social housing in the district, including the main provider of social housing, Yorkshire Housing.

Telephone Yorkshire Housing 0345 366 4404 for all housing enquiries. 

Where can I get help to make my home more energy efficient?

Energy Efficiency Grants

Energy efficiency grants are a discretionary form of assistance, aimed at improving energy efficiency, reducing fuel poverty and reducing the carbon emissions of homes. These grants are designed to improve insulation levels of homes to current standards and to repair or replace heating systems. There are two types of grants available for insulation measures and improvements to heating systems.

Eligibility to secure improved insulation:-

  • Applicants must be over 60 or claiming specific benefits
  • You must live in the property as your only or main residence
  • The works are required to alleviate fuel poverty

What are they available for?

  • Loft insulation
  • Cavity Wall insulation
  • Draught proofing
  • Energy efficient light bulbs
  • Insulation to the hot water cylinder

Eligibility to secure improvements to heating systems:-

  • Applicants must be over 60 or claiming specific benefits
  • You must live in the property as your only or main residence
  • The works are required to alleviate fuel poverty
  • The property must be in Council Tax Band A,B,or C

What they are available for?

  • Provision of gas, oil or other central heating system with boiler and up to 5 radiators
  • Repairs to existing systems
  • Conversions or alterations of a solid fuel open fire or stove

For further information please contact Housing Services on 01653 600666 or email .

More information about energy efficiency is available from the Energy Saving Trust website. Alternatively you can contact them by telephone on 0800 512012.

Sustainability 4 Yorkshire is part-owned by Ryedale District Council, this organisation provides information for individuals, businesses and communities. For more information about how they can help you to save energy visit their website.

Can I get financial help for repairs to my home?

Home Appreciation Loans

Ryedale District Council also provides Home Appreciation loans to assist owner-occupiers to carry out works to their homes.

The Home Appreciation Loan is a secured loan that allows you to release equity from your home to make repairs/improvements to your property. The loan does not become repayable until you transfer ownership of your house e.g if you sell your home.

For further information contact Housing Services on 01653 600666.

Who can advise me about having adaptations to my home because I am disabled?

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you have a disability and have difficulties managing in your home, it may be possible to reduce these problems by altering or adapting your home. Initial referrals for grant assistance are made by NYCC Adult & Community Care Services. For further information please visit the North Yorkshire County Council website.

Disabled Facilities Grant is intended to enable disabled people to continue to live in their own homes by providing them with the necessary adaptations. The applicant need not be the disabled person himself, but must be the owner or tenant of the property to be adapted (eg a parent may apply on behalf of a child).

Grants may be mandatory or discretionary, depending on the work to be done, but all applicants are subject to a means test. The current grant limit is £30,000. The type of work covered by the grant may include:

  • work to provide improved access within the property, eg provision of stair lifts, widening of doorways,through floor lifts.
  • providing downstairs bathroom facilities
  • providing ramps and handrails
  • providing showers with wheelchair access.


An applicant must be the owner of the dwelling or be a tenant and be able to provide the Council with an 'owner' or 'tenant' certificate. This does not have to be the disabled person for whom the works are required.

A landlord can apply on behalf of a disabled tenant. The landlord will be required to sign a certificate stating that the tenant will occupy the dwelling as his or her only or main dwelling for a period of five years from completion of works.

All applications are made through the recommendation of North Yorkshire County Council's Adult and Community Care Services.

For further information please contact Housing Services on 01653 600666.

Is there a handyperson who can help with minor repairs and jobs in my home?

Handyperson serviceHandyperson and minor adaptations service

White Rose Home Improvement Agency is a non-profit making partnership between Scarborough Borough Council and Ryedale District Council. The service may help provide Disabled Facilities Grants, a Wellbeing Service looking at all aspects of home safety and support and a handyperson and minor adaptations service.

The handyperson and minor adaptations service helps older, disabled and vulnerable people with small jobs and minor adaptations around the home. Even though the work of the Home Improvement Agency focuses on assisting older and vulnerable people, the Handyperson scheme is also available to anyone living in Ryedale.

For example we can:

  • Change light bulbs
  • Put up shelves/erect flat pack furniture
  • Secure loose carpets or rugs around the home (but not fit carpet)
  • Fit replacement door/window locks
  • Supply and fit Key safes
  • Fit plastic and metal grab rails
  • Fit mop stick handrails
  • Fit external handrails

These are only a few examples of how we can help, no matter the work you need, always feel free to ask. If we cannot help we may be able to suggest someone who can.

Unfortunately, we are unable to do:

  • Any gas works
  • Any electrical work
  • Any jobs at height

For small repairs work a charge of £15 (inc VAT) is made, plus the cost of any materials purchased by the handyperson on your behalf. Please note that the majority of minor adaptations will be provided and installed free of charge.

Full details are available on the Scarborough Borough Council website, or call on 01723 232323.


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

You are here: Home All services Housing Improvements and repairs Housing repairs