Ryedale District Council

You are here: Home All services Housing Council and social housing Registering for a council property

Registering for a council property

The Council is a non stock holding authority but several Housing Associations provide social housing in the district, including the main provider of social housing, Yorkshire Housing.

north yorkshire homechoice logo Feb 2017

How do I apply for a Council house or affordable rental property in Ryedale?

The Council does not own any housing stock. In 1991 we transferred our Council House properties to Ryedale Housing Association, now part of Yorkshire Housing, which manages them independently of the Council.

There are several housing associations that provide social and other affordable rental properties. Locally these include:

Yorkshire Housing
Home Group
Chevin (Together Housing)
Endeavour (North Star Housing Group)

How do I apply for a Housing Association property in Ryedale?

The Council is a member of North Yorkshire Home Choice, North Yorkshire's way of allocating council and housing association properties for rent and some shared ownership properties for sale.

We aim to give you more choice in deciding where you want to live and choose a home which best suits your needs. Properties that are available for rent are advertised weekly. If you are eligible and qualify to join the register you can express an interest (bid) on properties you would like to be considered for. Please be aware that you must actively bid for properties yourself, in order to be considered.

North Yorkshire Homechoice is a partnership of 10 partner landlords which, including Ryedale District Council and consists of :- City of York Council, Craven District Council, Hambleton District Council, Richmondshire District Council, Scarborough District Council, Selby District Council, Yorkshire Coast Homes, Yorkshire Housing and Broadacres Housing Association.

Applicants are required to register online and must meet certain qualifying criteria.

Please visit North Yorkshire Homechoice to view a copy of the allocations policy for the North Yorkshire Home Choice Based Lettings (CBL) Partnership.

If you do not have access to a computer, one is available for your use at Ryedale House, Malton. There are also public computers available around the district in libraries and public buildings.

See below to download our guide to applying online.

Housing Association stock in Ryedale

We aim to provide applicants with as much information as possible in order that they can make informed decisions about where they would like to live. Last year 920 applications were processed in Ryedale and AS OF April 2016 there were 748 active applicants registered with Yorkshire Housing in Ryedale (who administer the list on behalf of Ryedale District Council).

In 2015-16 Yorkshire Housing, the largest housing association provider in the area, let 289 (272 relets, 17 new builds) properties, which makes up approximately 10% of their total housing stock in the area.

As you can see, we cannot help everyone but if you are flexible about the areas and property types you are willing to consider, the more chance you will have of being re-housed with us. To help you, we have produced a table showing the location of all housing association properties in Ryedale, along with the number and type of property within each area, available to download below.

This table is made up of properties owned by; Yorkshire Housing, Home Group, Broadacres, Sanctuary, Chevin, Stonewater, North Star Housing Group. All of these providers advertise 100% of their housing stock on North Yorkshire Home Choice, using the agreed policy.

Chevin only advertise 50% of their housing stock in Ryedale through North Yorkshire Home Choice. The other 50% is advertised through their own waiting list. You can apply for these directly through their website. They have 2 schemes in Ryedale, one in Malton and one in Helmsley. 

Where can I get Housing Options Advice

North Yorkshire Home Choice is not always the best option for everyone and there are several other options that may be more suitable for your housing needs. Please see the homelessness support page of our website for further information.

If you are homeless or require housing advice contact the Housing Options Team at Ryedale District Council on 01653 600666 to arrange an appointment or discuss your situation with a duty officer. Appointments are usually available Monday to Friday mornings.


Attachments (downloads)
FileNo of pagesFile sizeCreated
Download this file (NYHC_Ryedale_Stocklist.pdf)Location of housing association properties in Ryedale537 kB04-2016
Download this file (NYHC_Guide_completing_online_application.pdf)North Yorkshire Homechoice - guide to completing an online application337 kB04-2016

Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

You are here: Home All services Housing Council and social housing Registering for a council property