Ryedale District Council

Housing evictions

If you are Housing Association tenant with rent arrears and you are worried about eviction please see the information below

housing bronze logoWhat should I do first to try to stop the eviction?

What can the Council do to help?

Why should I contact my landlord?

What can the Citizens Advice Bureau do to help?

Where can I get housing support?

What will happen if I become homeless?

Is there anyone who can support me at a Court Hearing?

What should I do first to try to stop the eviction?

Don't delay - get some help today, contact the Council's Housing Options Team straight away on 01653 600666.

What can the Council do to help?

A Housing Options Officer can advise you about your rights and may be able to assist you to claim benefits which you are entitled to. They may also refer you to other agencies which can help with debt problems, support you at court or negotiate on your behalf. Should they be unable to prevent your homelessness they will advise you of your Housing Options and can investigate your homelessness and find out whether you are eligible for temporary accommodation or other assistance.

Contact the Housing Options Team or telephone 01653 600666 to make an appointment for an interview with the duty officer. Appointments are usually available every weekday at Ryedale House in Malton.

Why should I contact my landlord?

Depending on your personal circumstances you may be able to work with your landlord, for example by arranging a meeting to look at your finances and agree a payment plan to pay off your arrears. This action could prevent you from becoming homeless so that you can stay in your home.

What can Citizens Advice Bureau do to help?

Ryedale CAB may also be able to help to prevent you from becoming homeless. They have specially trained advisors who may be able to help. They hold drop-in sessions at Stanley Harrison house, Norton Road, Norton, Malton each Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9.30am until 12.30pm and there is a drop-in session in Pickering library each Tuesday from 10.00am until 1.00pm. Email Ryedale CAB or telephone the advice line on 0844 4111444.

Where can I get housing support?

Stonham Homestay provide a Homelessness Prevention service in Ryedale and you can contact them directly to ask for help by phoning 01653 694703 or 01723 366566.

Shelter is a national organisation which has a comprehensive housing advice and phone helpline on 0808 8004444.

Is there anyone who can support me at a Court Hearing?

Support may be available from Foundation. Foundation is an independent charity whose legal advice team provides housing advice and legal representation to residents of North and East Yorkshire who are in danger of losing their homes.

Foundation has a Duty Housing Adviser or Solicitor present on housing possession days in York, Scarborough, Bridlington, Harrogate and Skipton County Courts. The Adviser can negotiate on your behalf and represent you at the court hearing.

Phone 01904 557 490
Fax 01904 633 962

Room D005, Ground Floor D Block,
Hudson House, Toft Green, York YO1 6JT




Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

You are here: Home All services Housing Council and social housing Housing evictions