Ryedale District Council

Boarding animals licence

Information on licensing a boarding kennel or cattery.

To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you will need a licence from the Council. The number of dogs and cats that may be boarded will be specified on the licence and there may be other specific conditions. A licence is required even if you want to provide boarding in a private home.

Eligibility Criteria

A local authority may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.

At the time of the application the applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following:

  • keeping an animal boarding establishment;
  • keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951;
  • keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954;
  • owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006;

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

[Back to top]

Application Evaluation Process

The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
  • That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
  • That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
  • That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
  • That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.

The following forms are available at the bottom of this page:

  • Standard conditions relating to the licence (Cats)
  • Standard conditions relating to the licence (Dogs)
  • Standard conditions home boarding - Cats
  • Standard conditions home boarding - Dogs

These conditions are without prejudice to the local authority's discretion to impose additional conditions or refuse a licence.

[Back to top]

How long will it take to receive the licence?

Following receipt of the application form and any necessary attachments including the relevant fee, you can expect to hear from us within 60 days.

Tacit Consent applies: this means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target period. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply online

In order to make an application online, you must complete one of the following forms:

[Back to top]


Fees will be payable for applications.

Failed application and licence holder redress

Any applicant who is either refused a licence or wishes to appeal against a condition of the licence can appeal to the local Magistrates' Court, however please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Bureau will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

For example about noise or pollution etc. contact the local authority (noise/pollution report form).

Contact details

For further information email the Licensing Team or tel. 01653 600666.


Attachments (downloads)
FileNo of pagesFile sizeCreated
Download this file (Cat_Boarding_Standard_Conditions.pdf)Cat boarding standard conditions821 kB11-2013
Download this file (Homeboarding - Cats Standard Conditions.pdf)Cat home boarding standard conditions641 kB11-2013
Download this file (Dog_Boarding_Standard_Conditions.pdf)Dog boarding standard conditions823 kB11-2013
Download this file (Homeboarding - Dogs Standard Conditions.pdf)Dog home boarding standard conditions643 kB11-2013
Download this file (Register_of_Animal_Boarding_Establishmentsmarch2011.pdf)Register of animal boarding establishments181 kB11-2013

Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

You are here: Home All services Business and economy Licensing and regulation Animal licensing Boarding animals licence