This Privacy Notice is designed to help you understand how and why Ryedale District Council processes the personal data of prospective, current, and former elected members. This notice should be read in conjunction with the Council’s Corporate Privacy Notice.
Who are you?
Ryedale District Council is a Data Controllers as defined by Article 4(7) of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
We have appointed Veritau Ltd to be our Data Protection Officer. Their contact details are:
|Data Protection Officer Veritau Ltd County Hall Racecourse Lane Northallerton DL7 8AL DPA@ryedale.gov.uk // 01609 53 2526|
What information do we process and why?
We process your information to fulfil our obligations associated with you holding office. This information includes, but is not limited to:
- Personal identifiers (your name, address, date of birth, email addresses, etc)
- Training records
- Information about your attendance and interests registered/declared
- Information about membership of any political groups and voting records
- Information about your ethnicity, religious beliefs and trade union membership (for the purposes of equality monitoring)
- Emergency contact information of those individuals you identify
- Financial information, including bank account information, tax, national insurance and pension contributions to facilitate payments of allowances and expenses
Who has access to my information within the Council?
Your information will only be made available to those who need it to do their job. This includes democratic and legal services and the teams supporting their services, and corporate management.
Your name, address, Council email address, contact telephone number (as provided by you), photograph, political affiliation and ward will be published on our website. Information on attendance at meetings, interests declared/registered, representation on outside bodies and voting records will also be included on our website. Any private telephone numbers provided to us will only be used by corporate management and legal and democratic services, and will not appear on our website.
Who has access to my information outside the Council?
We will share your information with the following organisations:
- Our payroll provider
- Department of Work and Pension, if applicable
- North Yorkshire Pension Fund, if applicable
- Any salary sacrifice arrangement you sign up to eg a charity
- Disclosure and barring service to conduct criminal record checks, if applicable
- Prospective future employers, landlords, letting agents, or mortgage brokers where you have asked them to contact the Council to seek a reference
Details of allowances and expenses paid are published annually on our website.
We have duties under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to disclose information we hold unless there is a very good reason to withhold it.
How long is my data kept for?
|Data held||Retention period|
|P45||6 years after leaving|
|Payroll record||6 years after leaving – retain skeleton record after this time|
|Payslip and claims information||6 years after leaving|
|LGPS scheme information||20 years after leaving|
|Training records||6 years after leaving|
What is your legal basis for processing my data?
We processing your data as required by the Local Government Act 1972 and subsequent legislation and regulations relating to elected Members and Council decision making.