Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Planning Planning applications Do I need planning permission?

Do I need planning permission?

The Council is responsible for deciding whether a development - anything from an extension on a house to a new shopping centre - should go ahead in the Ryedale area.

It is your responsibility for seeking planning permission and permission should be granted before any work begins. You do not always need planning permission.


Generally, it is not required for changes to the inside of buildings, or for small alterations to the outside such as the installation of telephone connections and alarm boxes. Other small changes, for example putting up walls and fences (below a certain height) may not require planning permission.

The most common examples of when you will need to for apply for planning permission are:

  • You want to make additions or extensions to a property.
  • You want to divide off part of your home for business or commercial use.
  • You want to build something which goes against the terms of the original planning permission for your house - for example, putting up fences in front gardens on an "open plan" estate.
  • The work you want to do might obstruct the view of road users.
  • The work would involve a new or wider access to a trunk or classified road.

If you are unsure whether Planning Permission is required you can complete a Development Enquiry Form (PDF, 5 pages, 276kb) and send it to Customer Services (Place), Ryedale District Council, Ryedale House, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 7HH. We will require a fee of £25 (no VAT). You will receive a written response. If you require a response from Building Control we will require an additional fee of £10 + VAT.

Development enquiry form renewable energy (PDF, 4 pages 301kb)

Further advice and information is available on the Planning Portal website.

If you know you need planning permission, we can offer pre-application advice on your proposal. To submit your planning application, all the information you need is available on the Planning applications page, including links to the Planning Portal to submit your application online.


You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called "permitted development rights". For further information please visit the Planning Portal website.

The following application forms are in relation to the changes to permitted development.

Please refer to the Statutory Instrument for exact wording and criteria.


The Planning Department is situated at the council offices at Ryedale District Council, Ryedale House, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 7HH tel: 01653 600666.

Submit an enquiry form.

The Council's opening hours are: 9.00am to 4.00pm Monday to Friday.



Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn