Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Living Here Housing Private housing Empty residential properties

Empty residential properties

We are working with property owners in the district to encourage and assist them to bring empty properties back into use, in order to provide much needed decent, affordable homes for local people. For more detailed information please see the North Yorkshire Empty Property Strategy and Action Plan 2017-2021.

As well as the costs incurred to the owner when leaving a property empty, vacant dwellings often have seriously detrimental effects upon the condition and value of adjoining properties. Usually, the longer dwellings have remained vacant, the greater their disrepair, the more the risk of vandalism and other misuse and the greater the harmful impact on the neighbourhood.

If you are the owner of an empty property that needs renovation and you are intending to let the accommodation, funding is available from us. For further details please see our Landlord improvement grants and loans  information.

If you are aware of a long term empty property, which gives rise to concerns in your neighbourhood and you wish to report this for investigation by the Council, please complete the Report a suspected empty property form. We are unable to provide certain information about empty properties, but you may find information about ownership from the Land Registry.

We aim to encourage and work with empty property owners, but where there is no prospect of actions being taken towards reuse of the property, and where there appears to be no reasonable circumstances for it to remain empty, the Council may have no alternative but to consider enforcement action to bring the property back into use.

If you would like further information about any issues relating to an empty property, please submit an enquiry form.


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn