Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Living Here Housing Housing advice Housing advice for Ex-Forces personnel

Housing advice for Ex-Forces personnel

Positive steps to prevent homelessness among ex-forces personnel and their families and to improve access to housing.

If you’re leaving the Armed Forces, or you are a former member, you may be entitled to help from us if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. Please email our Customer Service team or call 01653 600666 ext 43625.

The government has made a commitment to support ex-forces. It is committed to ensuring that service personnel, veterans and their families have the support they need and are treated with the dignity they deserve. To deliver this commitment, the Armed Forces Covenant outlines the positive measures being taken by government to ensure that the Armed forces community face no disadvantage, compared to other citizens in the provision of public and commercial services.

A range of help and support for past members of the armed forces over 65 is now available. The White Rose Home Improvement Agency works with partners to carry out this work.


Preventing homelessness - what we can do to help you

The Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 significantly reformed England’s homelessness legislation by placing duties on local authorities to intervene at earlier stages to prevent homelessness in their areas. It also requires housing authorities to provide homelessness services to all those affected, not just those who have a ‘priority need’. These include:

  1. An enhanced prevention duty extending the period a household is threatened with homelessness from 28 days to 56 days, meaning that housing authorities are required to work with people to prevent homelessness at an earlier stage; and,
  2. A new duty for those who are already homeless so that housing authorities will support households for 56 days to relieve their homelessness by helping them to secure accommodation
    The Homelessness Reduction Act came into force on 3 April 2018 and Ryedale District Council start working to prevent your homelessness as soon as you present your 93 day notice (giving the Armed Forces and ex-Forces personnel an extra 37 days outside of the statutory duty period of 56 days to prevent.)


Once you are in receipt of your Notice to Vacate, please email our Customer Service team or call 01653 600666 ext 43625 at your earliest opportunity and they will assist you to prevent and/or relieve your homelessness. You must consider private rental property which is suitable for your household needs. To end our prevention or relief duty to you we may assist you to secure a 6 month assured shorthold tenancy in the private sector. Please visit Right Move for further information on available properties.

If you meet the eligibility criteria you may also register for social housing online via North Yorkshire Home Choice.

In the Allocations Policy, ‘Armed Forces’ is defined as:

  1. Serving in the regular forces or who has served in the regular armed forces including those existing members of the regular armed forces who are suffering from a serious injury, illness or disability as a result of their service who may need to move out of their existing accommodation to suitably adapted social housing before they complete their service or who were serving in the regular forces at any time in the five years preceding their application for an allocation of social housing.
  2. Serving or has served in the reserve forces who are suffering from a serious injury, illness, or disability which is wholly or partially attributable to their service
  3. Bereaved spouses or civil partners of those serving in the regular forces where

(i) the bereaved spouse or civil partner has recently ceased, or will cease to be entitled, to reside in Ministry of Defence accommodation following the death of their service spouse or civil partner, and
(ii) the death was wholly or partly attributable to their service

d. For this purpose ―the regular forces and ―the reserve forces have the meanings given by section 374 of the Armed Forces Act 2006(2).

The definitions a and b above extend to applications from former service personnel, where the application is made within 5 years following discharge.

It is recognised that bereaved spouses (as in c above) and civil partners of service personnel who are required to leave service families accommodation following the death of their spouse or partners are likely to experience similar issues to service families on discharge from the forces. The Regulations are intended therefore to protect bereaved spouses and civil partners from the time they are required to leave service families accommodation until they are able to obtain alternative settled accommodation.

If you have served at least two years and still have six months left to serve, you may be eligible for the government Forces Help to Buy Scheme. Please follow this link for information about the Forces Help to Buy Scheme.

Joint Service Housing Advice Office 01252 787574

Support from MOD prior to leaving services

SPACES – 01748 833797, 872940, 830191
Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services, SPACES, is a housing advice and placement service for veterans. SPACES targets the most vulnerable of Service leavers, regardless of rank, length of service, or reason for discharge.

Veterans Gateway - 0808 8021212, text 81212
A single point of contact for veterans seeking advice and support.

SSAFA - 01748 830771
Practical housing advice and support for veterans and their dependants. You may be able to apply for funding to help you move house.

Phoenix House – Recovery in the North 01748 834148
The centre is accessible to all wounded, injured and sick personnel and their loved ones. Whether they’re still serving or a Veteran.

Combat Stress - 0800 138 1619
24 hour helpline provides support for veterans and their families seeking expert advice on mental health, housing and employment

Help 4 Homeless Veterans - Helpline 07586 777856
Their mission is to source and provide accommodation to Ex Service Personnel who are living rough or in unsatisfactory accommodation.

Launchpad - Helpline 0300 1111238
Provides affordable supported rented accommodation with on-site support to Armed Forces veterans of all ages and their partners.

Alabare: Homes for Veterans - Helpline 07122 322882
Provides temporary accommodation to British Armed Forces Veterans who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

Veterans Aid - Helpline 0800 0126867/020 78282468
Helping ex-servicemen and women in crisis. Enables sustainable, independent living with support.

The Beacon Catterick - Helpline 0345 1110000
The Beacon offers supported housing to single veterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and who have support needs. Based at Catterick Garrison, the team understands the unique needs of veterans transitioning in to civilian life.

Stoll Foundation - Helpline 020 7385 2110
Stoll provide over 250 affordable homes for vulnerable Veterans to rent. They also arrange accommodation for Veterans through housing associations and local authorities across the country.

Firstlight Trust for Veterans - Helpline 01723 361210
This is a charity for veterans of the Emergency Services and Armed Forces, available locally in Ryedale.
For those suffering from severe stress, who feel they have nowhere else to turn. Through their growing local network of cafes and centres, they support veterans and their families where it matters – in their community and in their homes.

SSAFA – (Armed Forces Charity) - Helpline 0800 731 4880
Support for veterans and their families for the rest of their lives.

Step Together – rehabilitation through volunteering

Turn2Us – charity providing information and support to get people back on track





Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn