Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Living Here Housing Gypsy and traveller community Unauthorised gypsy and traveller encampments

Unauthorised gypsy and traveller encampments

What is an unauthorised encampment?

An unauthorised encampment is where people are living in vehicles (including caravans) on land where they do not have permission to do so. It is the landowner's responsibility to deal with an unauthorised encampment on their land. Therefore we will usually only deal with encampments on council-owned land, including roadsides and verges.

How do I report an unauthorised encampment?

Please complete an enquiry form.

How does the council deal with unauthorised encampments?

We have powers to move travellers from unauthorised encampments on council-owned land. When an unauthorised encampment is reported, we will visit to identify the land in question and gather information on the group, including how their presence is impacting on the area. Due to the high level of interest these cases can attract, it is not always possible for officers to reply directly to every individual complaint, however all reports will be recorded.

We must follow the current legislation and we always try to act reasonably when dealing with unauthorised encampments. Depending on the circumstances, legal action may be taken to require the group to vacate the land. Due to the legal processes involved, it may take some time to resolve. However, in most cases travellers will move on voluntarily, without the need for formal eviction or court proceedings.

Visit GOV.UK for information on enforcement options.

Unauthorised encampment policy (PDF, 4 pages, 108kb)


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn