Ryedale District Council


Find a home

The Council does not own any housing stock. We transferred our Council House properties to Ryedale Housing Association, now part of Yorkshire Housing, which manages them independently of the Council.


north yks homechoice logo Feb 2017The Council is a member of North Yorkshire Home Choice, North Yorkshire's way of allocating council and housing association properties for rent and some shared ownership properties for sale. Applicants are required to register online and must meet certain qualifying criteria.

North Yorkshire Home Choice - guide to completing an online application (PDF, 3 pages, 37kb)

If you do not have access to a computer, one is available for your use at Ryedale House, Malton. There are also public computers available around the district in libraries and public buildings.

We aim to give you more choice in deciding where you want to live and choose a home which best suits your needs. Properties that are available for rent are advertised weekly. If you are eligible and qualify to join the register you can express an interest (bid) on properties you would like to be considered for. Please be aware that you must actively bid for properties yourself, in order to be considered.

North Yorkshire Home Choice is a partnership of 10 partner landlords which, including Ryedale District Council and consists of :- City of York Council, Craven District Council, Hambleton District Council, Richmondshire District Council, Scarborough District Council, Selby District Council, Yorkshire Coast Homes, Yorkshire Housing and Broadacres Housing Association.

Please visit North Yorkshire Home Choice to view a copy of the allocations policy for the North Yorkshire Home Choice Based Lettings (CBL) Partnership.


We aim to provide applicants with as much information as possible in order that they can make informed decisions about where they would like to live.

As of April 2016 there were 748 active applicants registered with Yorkshire Housing in Ryedale (who administer the list on behalf of Ryedale District Council). In 2015-16 Yorkshire Housing, the largest housing association provider in the area, let 289 (272 relets, 17 new builds) properties, which makes up approximately 10% of their total housing stock in the area.

As you can see, we cannot help everyone but if you are flexible about the areas and property types you are willing to consider, the more chance you will have of being re-housed with us. To help you, we have produced a table showing the location of all housing association properties in Ryedale, along with the number and type of property within each area.

Location of housing association properties in Ryedale (PDF, 5 pages, 37kb)

This table is made up of properties owned by Yorkshire Housing, Home Group, Broadacres, Sanctuary, Chevin, Stonewater, North Star Housing Group. All of these providers advertise 100% of their housing stock on North Yorkshire Home Choice, using the agreed policy.

Chevin only advertise 50% of their housing stock in Ryedale through North Yorkshire Home Choice. The other 50% is advertised through their own waiting list. You can apply for these directly through their website. They have two schemes in Ryedale, one in Malton and one in Helmsley. 


North Yorkshire Home Choice is not always the best option for everyone and there are several other options that may be more suitable for your housing needs. Please see the homelessness support page of our website for further information.

If you are homeless or require housing advice, please submit an Enquiry Form or contact the Housing Options Team at the Council on 01653 600666 to arrange an appointment or discuss your situation with a duty officer. Appointments are usually available Monday to Friday mornings.


If you are currently a tenant in North Yorkshire in a Housing Association property rented from one of the landlords shown below you can use the mutual exchange scheme through the North Yorkshire Homechoice website.

A guide to mutual exchange is available online at North Yorkshire Home Choice. You should contact your current landlord to seek advice if you want to exchange your property.

Some people advertise locally in small adverts in local shops or local newspapers in order to find a household who want to swap homes. Some people also use social media such as facebook to advertise for a home swap. If you find another household who want to swap houses with you, it is essential that you contact your landlords.

There are national websites available which you can use to advertise for a house swap from or to another region of the country. You must also contact your own landlord for advice.



Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn