Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Living Here Council tax and benefits Benefits Universal credit

Universal credit

If you are a single person of working age living in Ryedale, who is a new claimant of Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA) you have to claim Universal Credit from the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP). You will receive a single monthly payment of Universal Credit, which will also includes benefit for housing costs, previously paid by Housing Benefit from the Council.

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit and need help with paying Council Tax, you need to complete a separate application for Council Tax Support. The DWP will provide the Council with information that they have gathered for the Universal Credit claim to allow this to happen.

Once a single Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA) customer is receiving Universal Credit, they remain on Universal Credit even if they move into a relationship or have children. Claiming of other types of welfare benefits is unchanged and Housing Benefit remains for tenants who are not single job seekers.


Most claims for Universal Credit will be made online via the Government's Universal Credit website. You can access computers at the Council offices, Job Centre or at your local library. If you have difficulty accessing a computer or need support to complete the online form we can help.

Contact us on 01653 600666 for further details of where you can access facilities or receive support to complete your claim.

If you are a landlord and want to know more about Universal Credit, GOV.UK provides further information


The government recognises that there are customers who need help to claim Universal Credit and to report changes in circumstance on-line and who are new to monthly budgeting. Councils will provide the support needed to manage this process.

The DWP will work with the council and their partners to provide Universal Support – Delivered Locally (USDL).

This partnership will deliver:

  • supported on-line access
  • personal budgeting support
  • support from the DWP Universal Credit Service Centre on housing issues

The Council works in partnership with the DWP and other organisations to ensure that it delivers the help with claiming Universal Credit that some residents need.


The main differences between Universal Credit and the current welfare system are:

  • Universal Credit is available to people who are in work and on a low income, as well as to those who are out of work
  • most people will apply online and manage their claim through an online account
  • Universal Credit is responsive, as people on low incomes move in and out of work, they’ll get ongoing support – giving people more incentive to work for any period of time that is available
  • most claimants on low incomes will still be paid Universal Credit when they first start a new job or increase their part-time hours
  • claimants will receive just one monthly payment in arrears, paid into a bank account in the same way as a monthly salary
  • support with housing costs will go direct to the claimant as part of their monthly payment
  • some employers will report changes in their employee earnings directly to HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenues & Customs, using Real Time Information software (RTI) meaning that for some claimants Universal Credit could be recalculated automatically when earnings go up or down


Anyone claiming Universal Credit receives just one monthly payment in arrears, paid into a bank account in the same way as a monthly salary. Support with housing costs go direct to the claimant as part of their monthly payment.


Universal Credit is part of the Government’s Welfare Reform agenda. It replaces six former benefits with a single monthly payment. The benefits that Universal Credit replaces are;


The Department for Work and Pensions publishes Universal Credit and rented housing: guide for landlords. It provides private and social sector landlords with information about Universal Credit to help them understand what they can do to help their tenants.



Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn