Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Living Here Council tax and benefits Benefits Housing benefit

Housing benefit

Housing Benefit is paid to householders who need help with payment of their rent. Claims require evidence of tenancy and income in order to assess eligibility for benefit.


Who can claim?

You can claim Housing Benefit if you pay rent on a home you occupy and you receive:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Guarantee Pension Credit
  • or you are on a low income

How can I claim?

You can log onto our Benefits Calculator to find out if you may qualify.

How to make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support?

To make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you will need to complete a Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support online application form.

You will need to complete all the relevant questions, sign and date the declaration and provide all the original documentary information requested on the form in support of your application. If you cannot provide all the evidence with the application form, send the form back straightaway so you will not lose out on your date of claim and make sure you provide any other evidence within four weeks.

For full details on claiming Housing Benefit and up to date information on how other Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) benefits may affect your benefit claim log on to GOV.UK.

For further information on rents go to our Local Housing Allowance page or visit The Valuation Office Agency website which holds information on Local Housing Allowance and fair rents.


Change in your circumstances

You must tell us straight away, in writing, if there is a change in your, or any member of your household's circumstances as it may affect your benefit entitlement. Even a small change may affect how much money we can pay you. If you don't tell us straight away, it might affect the amount of benefit that you are receiving.

Please complete a Change in Circumstances online form.

What happens if you do not tell us immediately?

If you do not tell us within one calendar month of all changes, and you are entitled to more benefit, your claim can only be reassessed from the Monday after the date we receive them.

If you are entitled to less benefit, your claim can only be reassessed from the Monday after the date of your change. This will mean you have been paid too much benefit and this overpayment will need to be repaid.

Housing Benefit is paid for as long as a person has entitlement to it. We will not ask you to renew your claim each year, so it is important that you keep us up-to-date with your household, income and capital details. There may be changes in the amount of benefit entitlement, due to changes of circumstances.

Although you do not have to renew your claim each year, we may contact you to conduct an in-claim review of your benefit. This means that we will ask you to provide information about your circumstances and up to date proof of your income and capital. Your claim may be reviewed at any time, and it is important that you provide the information that we ask for, so you continue to get the right amount of benefit.

We may review your claim by post or in person by visiting you. If we contact you to arrange a visit, we will tell you the name of the officer who will be visiting and try to arrange a convenient time.

If you have any queries, please submit an online Enquiry Form.


A claimant may be eligible for their claim for housing benefit to be backdated (by up to 1 month for working age claimants and 3 months for pensionable age claimants) if there is a good cause why they were unable to apply for their housing benefit earlier.

Your request for backdating, if applicable, is included in the online application form when you apply for benefit. If you have already received a benefit decision notice from this office, you can request for the claim to be backdated to an earlier date but in this case, you must make sure your request is received at this office within one calendar month of the date on your decision notice.

If you wish to contact the Benefits office for more information on your backdated claim, please submit an Enquiry Form.


Anyone who has claimed housing benefit and disagrees with the decision made in their assessment can challenge the decision by submitting an Application for Housing Benefit appeal (PDF, 2 pages, 33kb), within one month of the date of the original decision.

Understanding our decision and making an appeal (PDF, 2 pages, 346kb)

It is very important that you check the information on your benefit decision notice to make sure that you agree with the income, savings and, where appropriate, the amount of rent which has been used in the calculation. However, the amount of rent that has been used in the calculation will not necessarily be the full amount of rent you have to pay.

You can ask that we explain to you in writing exactly how your entitlement was calculated before you decide whether to appeal. For more information see our leaflet Understanding our decision and Making an Appeal in attachments at the bottom of the page.

If you want us to look at the decision again or appeal

If you decide that you are not happy with your benefit entitlement and you would like us to look at your claim again, or, if you want to appeal against it, you should make your request in writing to be received at this office within one calendar month of the date on the decision notice.

Appeals made more than one month after your notification of benefit entitlement should also explain the delay in making an appeal.

Your claim will be looked at by a different member of staff and a full explanation given. If you are still unhappy with the decision you can ask for your appeal to be sent to the Independent Appeals Tribunal service.


If you, or anyone in your home, go into hospital and you are receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you, or someone on your behalf, must tell us immediately.

You must tell Benefits Services the date that person went into hospital and, if available, a contact name and address. We also need proof of any income that has reduced or stopped as a result of a hospital stay. If at any time that person is discharged from hospital or it is decided that person will not be returning home you must tell us immediately.

If you don't tell us immediately, you might lose Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support or be paid too much Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. If you are unable to write immediately, you should telephone or email first and then write and confirm as soon as possible.

A stay in hospital may affect your claim for other benefits. For example, this can include:

  • Where a disabled person has been in hospital their Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment or equivalent benefit can be paid for up to 28 days (12 weeks in the case of a child) with the result that their carer will lose their entitlement to carer's allowance. The carer premium will continue to be used when reassessing benefit/support for a further eight weeks.
  • Where a carer goes into hospital, entitlement to carer's allowance is not normally lost until after 12 weeks, after which the carer premium will continue for a further eight weeks.

If you need further advice please submit an Enquiry Form.


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn