Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Living Here Council tax and benefits Benefits Discretionary Housing Payment

Discretionary Housing Payment

If your Housing Benefit is less than your eligible rent, for whatever reason, you will have to make up the difference and pay it to your landlord. If you are struggling to meet the difference between the benefit you have been awarded and your full rent, you may be able to apply for Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

Request a Discretionary Housing Payment

The Discretionary Housing Fund is designed to provide short-term support for exceptional and unforeseen pressures that affect claimants ability to meet their rent liability, which may be a result of changes in the health or the financial position of members of the household. It is only a limited fund and once it has been used the council does not receive any more money until the next financial year, so there is no guarantee that you will be successful when making a claim.

The council's revised Discretionary Housing Payment Policy is available to download (PDF, 7 pages, 48kb) and provides details of the main features of the DHP scheme and how it's operated.

If you need more information, please complete an Enquiry Form.


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn