Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Living Here Community and living Immigration and asylum Accommodation certificates

Accommodation certificates

Accommodation certificates can be provided by the Local Authority for people making certain types of visa applications to enter the UK.

If you are intending to live in the UK, on a permanent or semi permanent basis and require a visa to enter the country then you are likely to require an Accommodation Certificate.

This certificate will show that the household where you intend to stay is considered a safe and healthy property and will not contribute to overcrowding.

These certificates are issued by the local authority in the area where the property resides.

The certificate is issued after an inspection to ensure the property that the visa applicant is intending to move into, is in a good state of repair, meets certain safety requirements and is not overcrowded.

Whilst assessing property standards for Accommodation Certificates Local Authorities use the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) to identify the presence of hazards. The HHSRS is also used to inspect all other rented accommodation.

If you are concerned about any potential hazards and disrepair in your rented property, in the first instance it is always best to contact your landlord to discuss property repairs. However, we can offer advice and can visit your property to assess its condition. Please submit an Enquiry Form.  

The Council is a non stock holding authority but several Housing Associations provide social housing in the district, including the main provider of social housing, Yorkshire Housing.


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn