It is against the law to prune, cut or damage a protected tree.
Trees can be protected in three ways:
- By a Tree Preservation Order (TPO)
- By being in a conservation area
- By a restrictive planning condition
If a tree is protected, you cannot prune or cut it without our permission. In some situations, you may also need a licence to cut down a tree.
Who do I contact about cutting a protected tree?
- Please write to us by using this online form Application for works to trees subject to a TPO or within a conservation area
- Please also read this helpful guide: Guidance for works to trees subject to a TPO or within a conservation area to make sure you include everything that we need
Where else can I get information?
This guide gives you lots of advice about caring for trees: