We are responsible for:
- Street naming and numbering for new developments
- Renaming/renumbering existing streets
- Registering property names
- Street nameplates
How does street naming/numbering work for new developments?
If you are a developer, you should contact us at an early stage of any new development so we can start the process of naming and numbering.
- You can suggest names for new streets, but the Royal Mail and the local Town/Parish Council will need to approve them
- After names are agreed, the Royal Mail will allocate postcodes
- We will then issue a plan that shows all the street names and numbers
- It is important that you don’t confuse plot numbers with house numbers
- As a developer, you are responsible for providing street nameplates to the completed roads
What does it cost?
We do have an admin charge for Street Naming and Numbering.Apply for street naming or numbering here
Often in rural areas, street naming and numbering can be confusing. Your local Town/Parish Council or the Royal Mail can ask us to help make sense of the situation.
- We do this by working out the correct name of a street, or a better numbering system
- We need to make sure the majority of residents who live on the street approve before anything is changed
Can I change the name of my property?
- Yes. Please contact us as soon as possible to register your proposed new house name
- The name should not conflict with other names in the area
- The Royal Mail will be told and, if there are no objections, they will allocate a postcode
- If there is an existing numbering system in place, the new property will be numbered and this will form part of the address
- We will then let Land Registry, Council Tax and Emergency Services know, but you will need to let others know yourself (eg. your bank, utilities providers etc)
Can we replace our street nameplates?
We only have a limited budget to look after and replace existing street nameplates.
When necessary, and if we have the funds in place, we can put up new signs. Your local Town/Parish Council will need to get in touch with us to discuss this.
If you need more help with street naming or numbering to submit an Enquiry Form