Do I need food premises approval?
You may need approval from us if your food business makes foods from raw (unprocessed) ingredients including:
- Raw meat (including mincing or cutting joints for others)
- Unpasteurised milk
- Raw fish
You are even more likely to need approval if you do not sell to the final consumer, for example if you sell to:
- Catering premises
- Other shops
It’s best to speak to us to check if you need approval. For further information, please submit an Enquiry Form.
Why do I need approval?
- Standards need to be high, so it’s important that you can prove you have all the correct controls and documents in place for your business
- Having our approval means that your food business can show it is safe and following the necessary guidelines
- It also means you can sell throughout the UK and export your products to Europe
How do I apply for approval?
- You can apply to us using this form: Apply for Approved Food Premises
- Once we receive your application form, any other necessary attachments and your fee, you should hear from us within 100 days
- If you haven’t heard from us after 100 days, please submit an Enquiry Form
- You must tell us about any changes that may affect your existing Food Premises Approval