To run a zoo you need to apply to us for a Zoo Licence. You need to do this so we can make sure your zoo is run properly.
At least two months before applying for a Zoo Licence, you must let us know in writing:
- Where you are planning to have your zoo
- Which animals you plan to have, and how many of each
- How you plan to house and look after them
- How many staff you think you need
- The number of visitors and vehicles you will need accommodation for
- How many access areas your site will need
- How you will implement conservation measures
You also need to publish your plans in one local newspaper and one national newspaper and have proof that you have done this. You’ll need to state where you plan to locate your zoo and state that people can inspect your application notice at our offices.
How to apply for a zoo licenceApply for a zoo licence
- The fee for this licence is worked out by the amount of time the veterinary inspector and environmental health officer spend on your licence application
- If you need to renew your licence, please complete your renewal at least six months before you existing licence ends, using the form above
What might affect my application?
- If we are not satisfied that the accommodation, staffing or management standards are suitable for the proper care and wellbeing of the animals
- If you, your business or any of your directors, managers, zoo keepers or similar officers have been convicted of any offence involving the ill-treatment of animals
- We also take into account any comments or concerns from other groups, local residents and governing bodies