If you can’t pay your rent, you’ve missed rent payments or you are worried that your payments are not being made, sort things out as soon as you can. Even if you have other debts, make sure you deal with your rent arrears first.
Things that can help you get back on track:
- Make a list of all your debts
- Make a note of the important ones that need paying first, like your rent, council tax, gas, water and electricity
- Write down all your income and expenses and work out a budget to help you decide how much you can afford to pay to each of the people you owe money to
- Get advice from a debt advice agency such as National Debtline or Stepchange
- Most importantly, talk to your landlord – try to reach an agreement about paying off the arrears, but do not agree to pay more than you can afford