Help from the Housing Options Team
If you are homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, please contact our Housing Options Team for support. The Housing Options Team help people to live independently within the community, and work to people people from losing their home or tenancy. The Housing Options Team can:
- Give you advice about the support the Council can offer, including finding temporary accommodation. This might be lodgings, rooms in shared houses or an independent flat or house.
- Refer you to other agencies that might be able to help
- Speak to your landlord on your behalf to help prevent you from becoming homeless
- Discuss your rights with you and help with legal issues
- Help you to work out what you can afford
- Explain what Housing Benefit you might be able to get, and help you to apply for benefits
- Help you with homelessness applications
- Put you in touch with housing associations and private landlords in the Ryedale area
- Use our Homelessness Prevention Toolkit to explore various options with you depending on your circumstances, including the Bond Guarantee Scheme, Bond Payment, Rent in Advance, Mortgage Repossession Loan Scheme, Discretionary Housing Payments
- Help you apply for mortgage rescue scheme, if relevant
Contacting the Housing Options Team
As soon as you think you are at risk of losing your home, please ask us for help.
- If you are at risk of becoming homeless in the next 56 days please completing the online self-referral form
- To make an appointment to meet with one of our team, please submit an enquiry form. Appointments are usually available every weekday at Ryedale House in Malton. Sometimes, one of our team may be able to meet you at home or at another location.
- To speak to a member of the team, please phone 01653 600 666
- If you live in Ryedale and you need emergency housing advice out of hours you can phone 01653 697737 and one of the Team will contact you
Who to contact in particular circumstances
Contact the Housing Options Teamif you find yourself in any of the following circumstances
- You have mortgage arrears and you could lose your home. See our ten step guide.
- You can also get help from Ryedale Citizens Advice. They hold drop-in sessions at Stanley Harrison House, Norton Road, Norton, each Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9.30am until 12.30pm. There is also a drop-in session in Pickering library each Tuesday from 10.00am until 1.00pm or telephone the advice line on 0844 4111444.
- You may also be eligible for support under the Breathing Space scheme.
- You are renting from a private landlord and have been served notice.
- You can also visit the Shelter website for specific information about private tenancies and your rights and obligations as a tenant.
- Your relationship has broken down and you need housing advice.
- You are a young person and your parents have asked you to move out. Visit the information about The Hub – a special service for young people.
- You need advice about drugs and alcohol issues that are affecting your housing situation.
- You can also seek advice from North Yorkshire Horizons which works across Ryedale to help individuals and their families who are affected by drugs and alcohol. You can contact North Yorkshire Horizons on 01723 333 0730
- You have received a court summons about a housing issue. It’s really important that you attend court so you can explain your situation to the judge. Our Housing Options Team can provide advice.
- You need advice about claiming benefits
- Your rent has increased and you can’t afford to pay it
- You have rent arrears and could lose your home