Are you 16-25 years old? Need help or advice about housing? We can help you at The Hub.
What is The Hub?
It’s a place where you can get help and support about anything to do with housing or homelessness. You can find The Hub at our Ryedale District Council offices.
We work together with other groups including Adult Services and Children and Young People’s Services to offer you help and support.
What help can I get at The Hub?
If you are between 16 and 25 years old and are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless then you can:
- Ask us all about housing
- Get help with things like benefits and how to manage a tenancy
- Ask for advice about how to stay in your own home
- Ask for help to find somewhere else to live if you don’t feel safe at home
What will happen when I come to The Hub?
- One of our team will talk you through everything and make sure you understand your options so you can make the right decisions for you
- They will also answer any questions
- They will listen and understand. They will also take your wishes and feelings into account.
- Our helpful team can also put you in touch with a support worker to help you through the entire process
Your parents are responsible for you until you are 18. That means we will have to contact them. If you are homeless and don’t have a good relationship with your parents, we can help you with mediation to try and solve these problems, even if only in the short term.
We will always try to solve housing problems before declaring you as homeless.
What accommodation is there for young people in Ryedale?
SASH – Safe and Sound Homes
If you are young, single and homeless then we can sometimes refer you to an organisation called ‘SASH’. They find you a safe place to stay, in a volunteer’s own home.
What’s it like to stay in a volunteer’s home?
All our volunteers are carefully chosen and you can stay there for up to 2 years. Each day, you will get breakfast and dinner as well as transport. You will also have your own room.
When you are staying in their home, you will work with the host and a project worker to develop your independence. This might include:
- Budgeting and basic cooking
- Being encouraged to continue or begin an education programme or job
- You can also ask for help with any other issues that you want to work on
All referrals come through The Hub at our Ryedale Council offices.
We have a range of accommodation, including rooms in supported accommodation at Derwent Lodge – staffed 24 hours a day – to independent accommodation across Ryedale.