Can I get a grant to adapt my home?
If you are elderly (or have a disability) and struggle to manage in your home, you may want to adapt your home so you can live more comfortably and independently.
North Yorkshire County Council’s Occupational Therapy Team has grants available to help you with this. They work together with the White Rose Home Improvement Agency to decide who can have a grant.
What can the grant be used for?
- To make it easier for you to get in and out of your home
- To improve access to your living room, bedroom, kitchen or bathroom
- To make sure your bathroom, sleeping and kitchen facilities meet your needs
- Adapting heating and lighting controls so they are ease for you to use
- To provide you with adequate heating for your medical condition
- To make your home safer
Who decides if I can have a grant?
North Yorkshire County Council will visit your home to assess your needs. If you meet the criteria, our Home Improvement Agency will then assess the work, get quotes, approve the grant application and oversee the whole process for you.
How much can I apply for?
- It depends on your situation
- If you are a homeowner or tenant, you could get up to £30,000 to pay for the adaptations to your home
- Grants are means tested
If you are unsuccessful, we can still support you through the adaptation process.