Accommodation and attractions panel
The North York Moors Accommodation and Attractions Panel gets key research data from its members that are all tourism businesses.
That information helps us as a District Council make more effective strategic decisions for the benefit of the area. The research data also helps us spend money on the right marketing campaigns and target support where it’s most needed.
We’re committed to sustainable growth of tourism in this district. The more tourism businesses that join the accommodation and attractions panel, the better. That’s because the more data we have, the better we can support our tourism businesses.
If you’d like to join the accommodation panel, then you’ll be asked to enter data on past bookings. There’s a confidential online platform to do this and in return you’ll receive vital information on bookings performance, seasonal trends, and visitor needs.
If you’d like to join the attractions panel, then you’ll be asked to enter data on monthly visitor figures. Again, there’s a confidential online platform and in return you’ll receive vital information on attendance performance, seasonal trends and visitor needs to help grow your business.
Being a member is free of charge and all businesses located in the Ryedale area qualify as members.
You can join the Attractions panel via this form.
Need an image for your business? Visit our image library
We have a range of royalty-free images for you to use for your tourism business without charge. You are welcome to use any of these photos but please make sure you credit the photographers – their name is included in the file name on every image.
Use of the images is under a royalty-free, non-transferable, non-exclusive licence, which means you are not receiving copyright to the images. The licence that governs your use of the images you download sets out, amongst other things, what the images can and can’t be used for.
We also need to reasonably control how our images are used by you, to ensure they are used only in a manner consistent with our aim of promoting tourism in Ryedale.
So, with this in mind, the licence terms are:
- You may only use the images to promote your business. This means you may only use them in your own promotional material, website, or social networks, providing you credit the relevant photographer. You may not use the images in business listings or adverts of any kind.
- You are not permitted to send the images to anyone else, sell them, or licence them to any other party.
- Ryedale District Council will not be liable for any loss costs claims or actions made against you in connection with your use of the images.
- Because we are not transferring copyright in the images to you, it is vital that you only use the images under the terms of this licence.
Visit Ryedale toolkit for businesses on Flickr to access our image library.
Further images from across the North York Moors area can be found via the Moors and More Toolkit Flickr library.
Welcome to Yorkshire also provides a free image library for tourism businesses.
To access a range of images from attractions to the outdoors, you’ll need these:
Research and surveys
A range of research and surveys are found below to help you develop your tourism business in Ryedale.
The Economic Impact of Tourism on Ryedale 2020 report is commissioned by Ryedale District Council and undertaken by Tourism South East, examining the volume and value of tourism and the impact of visitor expenditure on the local economy in 2020 and provides comparative data against previously published data from 2019.
Key results for 2020
- 5.46 million trips were undertaken
- 5.3 million day trips
- 0.16 million overnight visit
- 0.49 million nights in the area as a result of overnight trips
- £124.2 million spent by tourists during their visit to the area
- £10.35 million spent on average in the local economy every month
- £25.8 million generated from day trips
- £98.4 million generated by overnight visits
- £167.1 million spent in the local area as a result of tourism (taking into account multiplier effects)
- 3,961 jobs supported, both for local residents and from those living nearby
- 3,098 tourism jobs directly supported
- 863 non-tourism related jobs supported (linked to multiplier spend from tourism)
- 16.5% of population employed as a result of tourism in Ryedale
The 2020 Tourism Annual Economic Impact Report is available in the Resources section (filter by Topic – Tourism and Type – Reports and Statements).
Additional research and surveys
QA Research carried out visitor surveys in Helmsley and Malton between August 2017 and March 2018. The aims of the research were to profile visitors and their visit to Ryedale, gauge motivations to visit and rate satisfaction of their visit. The report of Key Findings of the Ryedale Visitor Survey is available in the Resources section (filter by Topic – Tourism and Type – Reports and Statements).
The North York Moors Visitor Survey highlighted some interesting findings.
Visit Britain produce regular information about the size and value of the English tourism market. Also available are latest business performance trends or to find out who your visitors are and what they think.
It’s now some years since the Regional Visitor Survey was undertaken but it’s the most comprehensive Yorkshire-wide research to date, and some of the findings are still valid and is available in the Resources section (filter by Topic – Tourism and Type – Reports and Statements).
A new Cycling Tourism Toolkit has been produced by the North York Moors National Park to help businesses to take advantage of the increased interest in cycling. You can download the Cycling Tourism Toolkit here.
The North York Moors National Park operates several ‘activity friendly‘ schemes, so visitors can enjoy our dark skies, cycling, walking and nature-friendly activities. There’s currently no charge to join these schemes and they’re a useful way to promote your business. Find out more. There are several practical toolkits that can help you develop your business, including Food & Drink, Astrotourism and Nature tourism.