Information about commercial waste services during COVID-19
Our teams have been working hard during the pandemic to ensure that our commercial waste customers are receiving collections that meet with their requirements.
In the meantime, if you have any queries about your commercial waste please email email@example.com.
What is classed as business/commercial waste?
Anyone who gets paid for their services is a business, even if they are a sole trader. Business waste can come from:
- Shops, offices, factories, restaurants, or other business premises
- Mobile businesses, such as beauticians, window cleaners, or gardeners
- Tradesmen, such as builders, plumbers, tilers, and kitchen fitters
- Tourism businesses, such as holiday cottages, guest houses, and hotels
- Farms, including silage wrap, feed bags, and other non-biodegradable waste
- Charities and non-profit organisations
If you use part of your home to run your business, any waste from that part is business waste and must not be disposed of in your household waste collection.
Do I need a business/commercial waste collection?
Yes, if you are the owner of a business of any size, you are legally responsible for the waste your business produces. You have a legal duty to:
- Keep waste to a minimum by doing everything you can to prevent, reuse, recycle, or recover waste
- Sort and store waste safely and securely
- Contact us to arrange a contract with the council to dispose of your waste. There are other registered waste carriers
Are commercial waste collections included in business rates?
No, we do not include it in your business rates.
How can I get rid of my business/commercial waste?
You can use our professional commercial waste collection service. We offer tailor-made solutions for both general waste and recyclables. Contact our Commercial Waste Team to discuss your requirements.
North Yorkshire County Council accepts some types of commercial waste at their household waste recycling centres. For more information on the types of waste accepted and charges, please visit the North Yorkshire County Council website.
For helpful advice about how to reduce your waste, visit Wrap.
Please note, if any of your business waste is classified as hazardous, you must make special arrangements to dispose of this. You can check if your waste is hazardous on the GOV.UK website.
What are waste transfer notes/Duty of Care?
For each load of non-hazardous waste that is moved off your premises, you need a waste transfer note or a document with the same information, such as an invoice. You can find out more about waste transfer notes on the GOV.UK website.
You must ensure you include the SIC Code on your Waste Transfer Note. This is the Standard Industry Classification Code for your industry/business.
Key information about our commercial waste collection
Our no-nonsense approach to waste management, competitive prices, and commitment to minimising the impact of waste on the environment makes our commercial waste service the best in Ryedale. We’ve been providing our services to businesses for more than 25 years and have a first-class, dedicated commercial waste team to help your business.
What we collect
We collect from all types of businesses and have over 1,000 satisfied customers who are already saving money and time by using our service. We’ll take care of all the waste your business produces and as 95% of the waste we collect is diverted from landfill to generate energy, you’ll also benefit from better green credentials.
Our recycling service can help you to recycle the majority of the waste produced by your business. This is better for the environment, helps your green credentials and, because it’s cheaper to recycle than dispose of general waste, will save you money.
As an existing customer, we offer a competitively priced bulky waste collection service so you can dispose of your extra waste. Contact our Commercial Waste Team to discuss your bulky waste requirements.
Whether you’re hosting a community event, music festival, or rural show, our comprehensive commercial waste service will make sure your waste is removed, transported, and disposed of safely. Contact our Commercial Waste Team to discuss your event bin requirements.
Why use us?
We provide a professional and dedicated service to all our customers. Throughout North Yorkshire, our fleet of modern waste disposal vehicles allows us to access even the most far-reaching businesses in Ryedale.
Our facilities and equipment
We provide durable bins ranging from 240 litres to 1,100 litres. These are suitable for most types of waste and easy to move around. Our depot is based in the centre of Ryedale which means we are never far away
You’ll benefit from:
- An experienced and dedicated commercial waste team
- First-class customer service with a direct telephone line to our waste management, billing, and management teams
- Fully qualified, experienced, and friendly bin crews offering a local service
- Collections available as often as you need, up to five days a week (Monday to Friday).
- Clear, up-front competitive pricing – yearly invoices mean our prices won’t change mid-contract
- No hidden fees or charges – we don’t charge by weight and you won’t pay VAT
- Flexible contracts – seasonal contracts mean you only pay for our services when you need them
- Short cancellation period – just give one month’s notice
- A range of payment options – pay us in full by credit card or cheque, or you can take advantage of our monthly direct debit plan
Key information for existing customers
If you’re an existing customer, find out how to tell us about an issue, book an extra collection, or make a change to your contract.
You can find your scheduled collection day on your waste transfer note or agreement. Or, just contact us and we will check your commercial waste collection date for you.
How to pay for your commercial waste collection
You can make a secure payment online at any time using our Online Payment System and choose Sundry Invoices. You can also pay by:
- BACS – quote your invoice number, sort code 30-63-64, account number 43834568
- Direct debit
- Telephone our 24-hour automated payment line on 0800 035 1566 and pay by debit or credit card
- In person at Post Offices and other outlets displaying the Allpay sign
If you have waste you need cleared before your scheduled collection day, you can arrange another collection. It’s important to know that you’ll be invoiced an extra charge for this service (in line with our standard costs for general waste or recycling waste).
To arrange an extra collection of commercial waste, contact us to discuss your requirements.
Bag and sticker orders
If you need more bags or stickers for your general waste collection, please contact us and let us know:
- How many rolls of bags you require (25 per roll)
- Your business name and address
- Business ID (if known).
If your bin is missing, please make sure that our crews have not left it somewhere different to its usual place.
If the reason your bin is missing is because of our bin crew, for example if the bin has fallen into the back of a bin lorry (the crew will be aware of this), we will replace your bin free of charge.
If your bin is damaged, such as the lid or wheel has come off, please report this to us so we can arrange to make any repairs as soon as possible.
If your waste hasn’t been collected on your scheduled day, as detailed on your waste transfer note or agreement, please get in touch. We will tell our bin crew and they will return to collect your waste as soon as possible.
If you have forgotten to put your bin out, please let us know. If our bin crew is still in the area, we will do our best to return and collect your waste for you.
How to change or cancel your contract
Amend your contract
If you want to amend your contract, such as change your bin size or alter the frequency of your collections, please contact us to discuss your needs.
If you want to cancel your contract, then we’re sorry to hear that. If you are still in business when you cancel, please make sure you have another waste contract in place before cancelling with us. That way, you’ll still fulfil your legal duty of care. A one-month cancellation period applies from the date you complete this form.