We are changing the bin rounds for over 3000 homes to meet the needs of Ryedale’s citizens.
A review of the existing domestic waste and kerbside recycling collection rounds has taken place and we’re now implementing new rounds to continue to operate efficient and effective waste services.
Residents will continue to receive a fortnightly domestic waste and kerbside recycling collection service however we are making some changes to collection routes and times. This means changes to collection days for 3299 properties, which will be implemented in phases between November 2022 – March 2023.
Citizens should continue to put their waste and recycling out on their new collection day – by 6am.
Ryedale District Council will be writing directly to all affected residents to provide them with details of their service change. A new collection calendar will be online just before each change and citizens will be able to check their new dates by visiting www.ryedale.gov.uk/information/bins-recycling/bin-collections/
Schedule for the changes
Please wait until you receive a postcard before putting out your waste/recycling at the new date givenThe dates below may change due to unforeseen cicrumstances
Weeks commencing 6 and 13 February
- 916 properties in Malton in Showground and Broughton Manor, Dickens Road and Rainbow Lane Estate will change from a Monday to Tuesday
- 186 properties in Old Malton will change from a Friday to Tuesday
Week commencing 20 February
- 450 properties in Norton, on Langton Road area and the Howe Road area will change from a Friday to Thursday
- 600 properties in Rillington area will change from a Friday to a Thursday and the materials collected will switch weeks so the week we usually collect recycling we will collect rubbish and vice versa. We are adding in an extra rubbish collection so residents don’t have to wait too long in between collections
Week commencing 27 February
- 120 properties in Keldhome/Kirby Mills will change from a Monday to Tuesday
- 700 properties in Pickering will move from a Tuesday/Thursday to Friday
Why are these changes happening?
Ryedale District Council has undertaken a review of the existing domestic waste and kerbside recycling collection rounds and the reason for the change is to ensure that the Council continues to operate efficient and effective waste services that accommodate the increased housing growth across the district.
Will you still collect the waste and recycling fortnightly?
Yes – residents will continue to receive a fortnightly collection service it is just some days and times will be changed.
How will I know if I’m affected?
We will write directly to those households which are affected – these changes do not affect everyone.
Are you changing all of the collection days in one go?
No. To make sure that the changes are smooth, we’re phasing in the changes. Full details will be on our website. The ‘check your bin day’ calendar will be updated in time for the new date too.
Why isn’t every household affected?
We have worked hard to both optimise the rounds and minimise disruption. Therefore, the round reconfigurations only affect those areas where we have needed to make the changes.
Why are you making the changes now? Why can’t you wait until the new North Yorkshire Council starts?
We want to ensure that services are operating effectively and efficiently, reduce our carbon footprint and provide value for money and these new rounds will put citizens in Ryedale in a good position as the district heads into the new unitary council, which will launch on 1 April 2023.
When do I need to put my rubbish or recycling out by?
Those affected will receive full information in their letter/ postcard. Please put your rubbish or recycling out by 6am on the morning of your new collection date.