Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Environment Rubbish and recycling Waste and recycling collections

Waste and recycling collections

Bank Holiday - week commencing 3 May 2021

Just a reminder that it's Bank Holiday Monday on 3 May and the rubbish and recycling collections due 3 to 7 May will be collected one day late. Garden waste collections will run as normal. Check your bin day here.

Please follow this link for details of any changes to our waste and recycling collection services during COVID-19.


What happens to my household waste?

We operate an alternate week kerbside waste collection service.  After your wheelie bin is emptied into the back of our collection vehicle the waste is tipped at the Kirby Misperton Waste Transfer Station.  The waste is then bulked up and transported to the Allerton Park Waste Recovery Plant where it undergoes different processes to remove materials such as metal and lower grade plastics (that we can’t collect from the kerbside) for recycling.

Food waste is separated off and anaerobically digested to produce biogas and the remaining waste does not go to landfill, but is used to generate electricity.   Diverting this waste away from landfill means it can be used to generate enough energy to power the equivalent of 40,000 homes.  The remaining ash is used to produce concrete breeze blocks for the construction industry.

For more information visit: https://wasteservices.amey.co.uk/where-we-work/north-yorkshire/  - videos of the plant in operation and posters provide a greater insight into what happens to your waste.

Container Yes Please No Thanks
Green box resized

Any plastic bottles from the kitchen, utility or bathroom

Drinks and food cans, biscuit tins and aerosols

Yoghurt pots, plastic bags, polystyrene, clingfilm, food trays, pots, paint tins, cutlery, large metal items
Black box

All glass bottles

All glass jars

Window glass, crockery, ceramics, pyrex or vision ware.
blue bag resized Newspapers, magazines, junk mail, catalogues, other white papers, telephone directories, cardboard boxes, food packaging, greeting cards, kitchen and loo roll tubes Envelopes, wallpaper, beverage cartons (tetra paks), polystyrene, plastic bags, clingfilm, and cardboard with food on it
Brown bin resized

Provided to those properties subscribing to the garden waste subscription service

A 240 litre brown wheelie bin is provided as standard. Smaller 140 litre bins are available on request

Properties unsuitable for wheelie bins or where residents require assistance (due to medical conditions, age etc) will be provided with biodegradable liners for garden waste

Grass cuttings, windfalls, flowers and plants, hedge clippings, leaves and bark, weeds, turf, hay, straw, small branches and prunings. Please remove as much soil as possible from your garden waste.

Anything that may be contaminated with dog or cat waste.

Excessive soil - please remove as much as possible from your garden waste.

Please put non-recyclable waste in your black or green wheelie bin. A 180 litre black wheelie bin is provided as standard (all 240 litre green wheelie bins will be replaced by 180 litre black bins). Smaller 140 litre bins are available on request.

Properties unsuitable for wheelie bins or where residents require assistance (due to medical conditions, age etc) will be provided with 52 black liners per year for residual refuse. Use our form to apply for assistance.

Properties on liners may be provided with a wheelie bin for storage of the black liners containing non-recyclable waste. A maximum of 3 liners per property will be taken at each collection interval.


All collections take place between 6am and 5pm. For details of your collection day and to find a calendar showing the collection pattern of your refuse and recycling, please visit our find your bin collection day page for all the details.

We cannot guarantee collection time therefore residents are advised that their containers should be placed out for collection the night before their usual collection day.

We provide a kerbside waste collection service. Please place all waste containers at the nearest point to the edge of the public highway but make sure that they do not cause an obstruction. Only correctly presented containers will be collected. If there is a problem finding a suitable location for the container, contact us and an officer will arrange to visit the property to identify a suitable alternative collection point.

Please return the waste containers to a position within the confines of your property on the same day following collection.

If there are 7 or more permanent occupants in your property and you experience capacity problems with additional non-recyclable waste you may be issued with an additional 140 litre bin.

Properties with 5 or more permanent occupants will be issued with a 240 litre (green) capacity wheeled bin for non-recyclable waste (instead of the standard 180 ltr (black) issue).

To request additional capacity please complete an application form.

Please include full names of all those permanently resident at the property, excluding full-time students living away from home or family members who are non-permanent but may visit at weekends or holiday times.



If you live in a remote property, or along a private road, you will be required to bring your containers to the edge of the nearest adopted public highway. Liners will be issued where it is impractical to site bins. Where there are four or more properties, a kerbside collection at a designated point will be agreed on the understanding that the access road is suitable for collection vehicles.


If a member of your household produces additional non-hazardous medical waste (eg incontinence pads), due to a medical condition, you may be entitled to an additional 140 litre bin for non-recyclable waste. Please complete a short application form for this service.

Arrangements can also be made for the collection and dispose of clinical waste by a specialist contractor. This service is usually requested by the local hospital or specialist nurse.


Containers for newly built properties and residents new to Ryedale will normally be delivered within five working days of a request. Details of the containers we use and what goes in each are available here.

The cost of all containers supplied to new developments (5 or more properties) in the District will be recharged to the developer.


Damaged containers will be replaced within 10 working days free of charge. Please note all green wheeled bins will be replaced with black wheeled bins as part of a phased replacement programme.

Apply for new/replacement waste equipment.


If collections have not been made due to severe weather, such as flooding or icy conditions, please leave your containers out and we will arrange for collection as soon as it is practical and safe to do so.

However, in cases of prolonged severe weather, we may have to alter collection patterns for various materials. Please visit to this website for up to date information when there are disruptions to regular services for reasons outside our control.


Details are on our Find your bin collection day webpage.


Companies offering confidential document destruction services in Ryedale include:

Always check with the company that they have a valid Environment Agency Waste Management License to handle this type of waste before entering into any agreement.


Hazardous household waste can be disposed of safely at the Household Waste Recycling Centres (Skip sites). For further information please visit North Yorkshire County Council's website.




Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn