Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home COVID-19 Benefits update

Benefits update - COVID-19

Due to COVID-19 we have received a larger number of requests and questions related to Housing Benefits and Council Tax Reduction eligibility. From the most recent guidance provide by the Government it is advised that those effected should apply for Universal Credit, they will assist you with your living cost and housing costs if you pay rent to a landlord.

Apply for universal credit 

You can also visit the new government website to find out what support you might be able to claim. It covers things like housing, furlough, sick pay and self-employment. There’s a handy FAQ section for those already claiming benefits or making a new claim.

Support for self employed 

The Government has announced help for self-employed people who have lost income due to the Coronavirus. Financial Support is available to self-employed in the form of a grant through the Self-Employed Income Support Scheme.

You cannot apply for this scheme, HMRC will contact you if you are eligible to the grant and invite you to apply online.

This is a taxable grant worth 80% of your trading profits up to £2500 maximum per month for the next 3 months, subject to meeting certain criteria. 

If you are not eligible for the scheme you may be entitled to Universal Credit.

You are able to claim Universal Credit, providing you meet the usual eligibility criteria.

To support you with the economic impact of the outbreak, and allow you to follow government guidance on self-isolation and social distancing, from 6 April the requirements of the Minimum Income Floor will be temporarily relaxed. This change will apply to all Universal Credit claimants and will last for the duration of the outbreak.

New claimants will not need to attend the jobcentre to demonstrate gainful self-employment.For more information go to: Employment and benefits support.

Support for Zero Hours Workers

If you are a zero hours worker you may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay. 

If you are not eligible for Statutory Sick Pay you could be eligible for the new Employment Support Allowance and or Universal Credit. For more information go to: Employment and benefits support

Support for Furloughed Workers

If your salary is reduced as a part of the Furloughed worker scheme you may be eligible for Universal Credit or Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. For more information go to: COVID-19: guidance for employees

If you have COVID-19 or are staying at home

You are now able to claim Universal Credit and if required can access advance payments upfront without needing to attend a jobcentre. For more information go to: Employment and benefits support.

Support for Households

Whether you are currently in or out of work, if you are on a low income or if you have lost income due to the coronavirus and need financial help with your mortgage, rent, council tax, food and bills you may be eligible for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

From 6 April the standard allowance in Universal Credit and the basic element in Working Tax Credit are increasing for 1 year. Both will increase by £20 per week on top of planned annual uprating. This will apply to all new and existing Universal Credit claimants and to existing Working Tax Credit claimants.

From April, Local Housing Allowance rates are increasing to the 30th percentile of market rents. This applies to all private renters who are new or existing Universal Credit housing element claimants and to existing Housing Benefit claimants.

To claim Housing Benefit you must fall into one of the following;

  • You and your partner are of pension age,
  • You are working age and living in Supported Accommodation,
  • You are working age and living in Temporary Accommodation under the Homeless Person Act,
  • You are entitled to Severe Disability Premium.

If you fall into one of the categories listed above you can apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support here: housing benefit page

If you do not fall into the categories you must claim Universal Credit.

You should check your eligibility for Universal Credit, which is available for people in and out of work. Support for rental costs will be paid through Universal Credit.If you are making a new Universal Credit claim you can claim Council Tax Support at the same time, to do this you must indicate that you pay Council Tax on your Universal Credit application. The council will automatically receive your Council Tax Support Claim. Once your UC has been processed, your Council Tax Reduction claim will be processed simultaneously.

If you require help with your Council Tax, please email benefits and provide your name and National Insurance number. This will help us monitor your Universal Credit claim.

If your Universal Credit claim is refused you will need to apply for Council Tax Support through the link in the next section.If you are not sure about applying for Universal Credit and wish to learn more about it, please see the following guidance: Employment and benefits support.

Help with Council Tax

You may be eligible for Council Tax Support if you are struggling to pay your Council Tax.

Ryedale District Council implemented a new Working age Council Tax Support scheme as of April 2020. This is an income banded scheme, based upon household size and weekly income. 

For residents of pension age the Government have prescribed rules that are used to calculate the amount of Council Tax Support.

To be eligible for Working age Council Tax Support you must have savings of less than £6000. If you are eligible for Council Tax Support you could see a reduction of your council tax bill of either; 100%, 75%, 50%, 25% depending upon your weekly income and household size. If you do not fall into a reduction band detailed below you will not receive any Council Tax Support.

The Reduction bands and household categories are detailed in the grid below. 

Council Tax Reduction Level Passported Single


Family with One Child

Family with Two or
more children


Band A – 100% Relevant Benefit 0.00 to 110.00

0.00 to 160.00

 0.00 to 210.00 0.00 to 260.00
Band B – 75% N/A 110.01 to 150.00 160.01 to 200.00  210.01 to 250.00 260.01 to 300.00
 Band C– 50% N/A 150.01 to 200.00 200.01 to 250.00  250.01 to 290.00 300.01 to 340.00
Band D – 25% N/A 200.01 to 250.00 250.01 to 300.00  290.01 to 340.00 340.01 to 380.00

For more information go to: council tax support page.

Council Tax Hardship Fund

The Government has announced that; working age, council tax support customers will receive a further reduction of £150 to their council tax bill for 2020/21.

This reduction will be applied to the Council Tax Account automatically, you do not need to contact the council for this reduction to your bill.

This means that if after your award of council tax support, your outstanding bill for 2020/21 is: 

More than £150, your liability for 2020/21 will be reduced by £150 and the remainder of the bill will be payable.

Less than £150, your liability will be reduced to zero.

Zero, you will have no further reduction to your council tax bill.


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn