Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Business Support for tourism businesses Support for tourism businesses from Ryedale District Council

Support for tourism businesses from Ryedale District Council

Ryedale District Council can offer specialist advice to help you set up and open a B&B, hotel, guest house or other type of visitor accommodation.

Planning Permission

Whether you need planning permission will depend on the scale of the proposed business use in relation to the existing use of the property the impact of the use on the character of the property or local area.

Visit the Planning Section of the website for further information.

Building Regulations

Building works on a B&B, hotel, guest house or self-catering accommodation may need a Building Regulation application to be submitted to North Yorkshire Building Control. Issues to consider include alterations to the structure and drainage, roof and thermal insulation, fire precautions and sound insulation.

Visit the North Yorkshire Building Control website for further information.

Commercial waste collection

The Council offers a reputable and reliable service for the collection and disposal of commercial waste. We offer competitive rates and no VAT charges. A range of bin sizes and collection frequency combinations are available, including seasonal contracts.

For further information, visit our Commercial waste section.

Environmental Health

If you let rooms in your home and provide breakfast or other meals, you will need to register as a food business and to consider issues such as noise, odour, trade waste management and contaminated land.

Any such business is required to register with the council at least 28 days before the business is due to start operating and registration is free. Detailed advice and guidance is available free from Ryedale District Council’s Environmental Health Team and the Food Standards Agency website.

Suitable food hygiene courses are available both online and from local providers. For free access to an online Level 2 course in Food Safety and Hygiene Level 2 via High Speed Training please contact the Tourism team. The Level 2 course is for anyone who works where food is cooked, prepared or handled. Full course details are at high speed training website.

Further information on food safety for businesses can be found on this website.

Basic requirements for food premises include that the:

  • premises are clean and in good repair
  • food is protected from contamination
  • food handlers are trained
  • there is a written food safety system in place

Complete an enquiry form or contact the team on 01653 600666.

Health and Safety (General)

In running visitor accommodation your home becomes a workplace. Although you may not employ anyone, you have a duty under Health and Safety legislation for the safety of your guests whilst they are on your premises.

Key areas are:

  • Safe access and egress at your home;
  • Safety of the electrical system and any electrical appliances you may provide for the guests’ use;
  • Make sure that furnishings, particularly the bed, are fit for purpose and comply with fire retardant standards;
  • Provide metal waste bins, not bins made of combustible or heat vulnerable material;
  • Try to keep beds away from windows with low sills by at least 500mm. If this is unavoidable, make sure that the glazing is toughened. If children are being accommodated, restrict the opening of any window;
  • Remove risks that might cause your guests to slip, trip or fall;
  • If your pets, for example dogs, are aggressive to visitors you will need to take sensible precautions;
  • Ensure that your guests are shown how to leave the premises in the event of an emergency.
  • A fire risk assessment must be completed. Guidance is available via this HM Government document.

Further information can be found on the following websites:

Smoke-Free Legislation

All visitor accommodation establishments must be smoke-free. Guest bedrooms can be designated as available for smokers but other enclosed parts of the property will have to be smoke-free. The garden will be an exception but ‘No Smoking’ signs will also need to be displayed at the guest entrances. For further advice visit the legislation.gov.uk website.


If you are planning on selling alcohol and/or supplying hot food and drink after 11pm, you will need to contact the Environmental Health department to gain a licence for the premises.

Complete an enquiry form or contact the team on 01653 600666.

Business Rates

If you are opening a business, you need to check whether Business Rates apply to the property from where the business operates.

The Council’s Business Rates team can advise whether the property is currently rated for business rates.

If the property is not rated the council can arrange an inspection and contact the Valuation Office Agency to ascertain whether the property should be rated for business or domestic.

If you run a business from a property that you also occupy as your sole/main residence, your property will be a “composite”. This means that you would pay Council Tax on the part that you live in and Business Rates on the part that you run as your business. Business rates are only payable when you are able to accommodate six or more guests.

Visit our Business Rates Section for further information.


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn