Ryedale District Council


Zoo licence

To run a zoo in England, Scotland and Wales, you will need to be licenced by the Council.


The licence is subject to fees and conditions to ensure the proper conduct of the zoo.

At least two months before making an application for a licence, the applicant must give notice in writing (including by electronic means) to the local authority of their intention to make the application. The notice must identify:

  • the zoo's location;
  • the types of animals and approximate number of each group kept for exhibition on the premises and the arrangements for their accommodation, maintenance and well being;
  • the approximate numbers and categories of staff to be employed in the zoo;
  • the approximate number of visitors and motor vehicles for which accommodation is to be provided;
  • the approximate number and position of access to be provided to the premises;
  • how required conservation measures will be implemented at the zoo.

At least two months before making the application, the applicant must also publish notice of that intention in one local newspaper and one national newspaper and exhibit a copy of that notice. The notice must identify the location of the zoo and state that the application notice to the local authority is available to be inspected at the local authority offices.


When considering an application the local authority shall take into account any representations made by or on behalf of:

  • the applicant;
  • the chief officer of police (or in Scotland the chief constable) in the relevant area
  • the appropriate authority - this is either the enforcing authority or relevant authority in whose area the zoo will be situated;
  • the governing body of any national institution concerned with the operation of zoos;
  • where part of the zoo is not situated in the area of the local authority with power to grant the licence, a planning authority for the relevant area (other than a county planning authority) or, if the part is situated in Wales, the local planning authority for the area in which it is situated;
  • any person alleging that the zoo would affect the health or safety of people living in the neighbourhood;
  • anyone stating that the zoo would affect the health or safety of anyone living near it; and
  • any other person whose representations might show grounds on which the authority has a power or duty to refuse to grant a licence.

Before granting or refusing to grant the licence, the local authority shall consider any inspectors' reports based on their inspection of the zoo, consult the applicant about any conditions they propose should be attached to the licence and make arrangements for an inspection to be carried out. At least 28 days notice of the inspection shall be provided by the local authority.

The local authority will not grant the licence if they feel that the zoo would adversely affect the health or safety of people living in near it, or seriously affect the preservation of law and order or if they are not satisfied that appropriate conservation measures would be satisfactorily implemented.

An application may also be refused if:

  • the local authority are not satisfied that accommodation, staffing or management standards are suitable for the proper care and wellbeing of the animals or for the proper conduct of the zoo; and
  • the applicant, or if the applicant is an incorporated company, the company or any of the company's directors, managers, secretaries or other similar officers, or a keeper in the zoo, has been convicted of any offence involving the ill-treatment of animals

Applications to renew a licence will be considered no later than six months before the expiry of the existing licence, unless a shorter time period is allowed by the local authority.

The Secretary of State, after consulting the local authority, may direct them to attach one or more conditions to a licence.

The local authority may advise the Secretary of State that, because of the small number of animals kept in the zoo or the small number of the kinds of animal kept there, a direction should be made that a licence is not required.


If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online by submitting an Enquiry Form.


In order to make an application online, you must complete the following form:

Apply for or renew a Zoo Licence

There is a fee for this licence but this is determined by the cost of veterinary inspector's and environmental health officer's time spent on the licence application.


Please contact the local authority in the first instance.

If the applicant is refused a licence they may appeal to a Magistrates' Court within 28 days from the date on which the applicant receives written notification of the refusal.


Please contact the local authority in the first instance.

A licence holder may appeal to a Magistrates' Court against:

  • any condition attached to a licence or any variation or cancellation or a condition;
  • the refusal to approve the transfer of a licence;
  • a zoo closure direction; and
  • enforcement steps relating to any unmet condition.

The appeal must be brought within 28 days from the date on which the licence holder receives written notification of the authority's decision as to the relevant matter.


We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


For example about noise or pollution etc. contact the local authority (noise/pollution report form).

If you have any concerns or require information about standards, please submit an Enquiry Form.



Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn