Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Business Licensing and regulation Animal licensing Boarding animals licence

Boarding animals licence

To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you will need a licence from the Council. The number of dogs and cats that may be boarded will be specified on the licence and there may be other specific conditions. A licence is required even if you want to provide boarding in a private home.

Boarding animals licence holders (PDF 2 pages, 97kb)

A local authority may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.

At the time of the application the applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following:


Fees of £116 will be payable for applications for cat and dog boarding establishments.  The fee for a Home Boarding establishment is £87.

Any applicant who is either refused a licence or wishes to appeal against a condition of the licence can appeal to the local Magistrates' Court, however please contact us in the first instance.


In order to make an application, you must complete and return the following form:

Apply to run, change or renew an animal or home boarding establishment (Word Doc 137KB)


The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
  • That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
  • That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
  • That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
  • That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.

Standard conditions

These conditions are without prejudice to the local authority's discretion to impose additional conditions or refuse a licence.


Following receipt of the application form and any necessary attachments including the relevant fee, you can expect to hear from us within 60 days.

Tacit Consent applies: this means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target period. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.


We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Bureau will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


For example about noise or pollution, please submit an enquiry form.


For further information, please submit an Enquiry Form.

Register of animal boarding establishments (PDF, 1 page, 81kb)


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn