Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Business Commercial waste Hazardous waste collection

Hazardous waste collection

Hazardous waste contains substances or properties that might harm people or the environment. That doesn't always mean it is toxic.


Hazardous wastes include:

  • Oil filters
  • Antifreeze
  • Brake fluid
  • Lubricating oil
  • Mixed fuels
  • Lead acid batteries
  • Parts washing fluids
  • Contaminated rags and granules
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Printing wastes
  • Paint
  • Spent oils
  • Solvent wastes, including contaminated packaging and containers
  • Certain electrical goods, including fridges and freezers from commercial premises
  • Cathode ray tube screens (TVs & computer monitors)
  • Other waste materials that were previously consigned as 'Special Waste'


All businesses must demonstrate that hazardous wastes are being disposed of correctly by ensuring that measures are in place to properly segregate, handle and store such wastes. It is illegal to mix different types of hazardous waste materials or mix /disperse them with non-hazardous (general) waste that goes to landfill.

The Duty of Care (ie correct handling procedure for waste) is being placed more heavily on businesses, as waste producers. The Environment Agency has stated that the consequences for businesses not complying with the new Hazardous Waste Regulations are likely to be significant fines and damage to a company's reputation.

If your business produces hazardous waste (such as the materials listed above) you will need to register each of your business's operational premises with the Environment Agency. After completing correct documentation, and submitting a fee, you will be provided with a unique 'Premises Code' for each site. You must use this number whenever you want hazardous waste removed from your premises.

You may "Register as a hazwaste producer" by visiting GOV.UK.


We cannot collect hazardous waste separately, or co-mingled with general household or commercial waste. Unless you are registered you will be unable to have hazardous wastes collected from your sites. Companies offering collections of hazardous waste can be found under the Waste Disposal Services section in your local Yellow Pages.

You must ensure that the company you choose to remove your hazardous waste is properly licensed (with the Environment Agency). It is an offence to pass waste on to a company not fully approved by the Environment Agency.

If you think you have hazardous waste, but are not sure, contact the Environment Agency for advice tel: 08708 506506.

Visit North Yorkshire County Council's website for information on how to dispose of hazardous household waste.


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn