Ryedale District Council


You are here: Home Business Business support Support for start ups

Support for Start Ups

Starting a business

We know starting your own business is an exciting time, and you’re likely to have lots of questions relating to funding, customers, suppliers, legal matters, premises and much more.

We’re here to help businesses in Ryedale with signposting to initial start-up advice. You’ll find useful links and suggestions below for setting up a business, and we can introduce you to local experts when you need specialist guidance.


Advice and next steps

Your first step is to research and write a business plan. A good business plan keeps it simple. You can find templates and further guidance here.

You need a business plan if you are looking to secure any funding to support your start up. Even if you don’t require funding, a business plan is an essential working document to go back to and reflect upon once you have started trading.

Use your plan to:

  • Set objectives, and show how and when you will measure your performance against those objectives.
  • Consider the steps you need to take to develop your business and what barriers might get in the way.
  • Think about the potential risks and how you will manage those. Do you have a Plan B?

This is the first step to focus on when developing your business plan. Think about the information you need and the best way to collect it.

Market research helps you identify your target customers. Does your product or service fulfil their needs in a volume that enables you to operate a business? Compare your proposition to what already exists in the marketplace.

You can find more useful information here

There are different funding options to consider for your business, depending on your circumstances. Here are some suggestions to help you find out more about what support you can access and what might be right for you:

Start Up Loans

Government-backed Start Up Loans of £500-£25,000 are available to start or grow your business. Unlike a business loan, this is an unsecured personal loan. Free support and guidance is available to help write your business plan, and successful applicants can get up to 12 months of free mentoring.

Find out more about eligibility, fees and repayment and how to apply here.

John Cracknell Youth Enterprise Bank

Available for 13 to 21 year olds living in Malton, Norton or Pickering. The programme offers grants up to £1,000 for business ideas that benefit others and help applicants develop the idea into a reality. 

Find out more about eligibility and accessing support here.

Federation of Small Businesses (FSB)

Championing and lobbying on behalf of the self-employed and small business owners. Free guide to setting up your business, access to vast range of legal and employment advice, resources and templates plus free business banking, funding platform and discounted card payment charges and fees.

Find out more on the wider range of help and membership benefits here.

Prince's Trust

The Prince’s Trust works with 18 to 30-year-olds living in the UK, including support for Start Ups.

Find out more here.

It’s important to know your legal requirements from the beginning of your business journey. Seeking guidance from relevant professional services organisations will help you establish your business in the right way from the start. There may be legal requirements that are necessary to start your business. You can find more information about some of these areas below.

Business structure

One of the first questions you need to answer is the legal ownership structure of your business. Will you set the business up as a self-employed individual, limited company or partnership with others? Whatever structure you decide upon, be sure to obtain confirmation this is the right structure for you and any others connected with the business.

Discuss your plans with an accountant on so you are aware of your legal responsibilities to HMRC in terms of tax and VAT.

Leases and contracts

It is advisable to seek legal support when entering into any lease to ensure that the terms and conditions you are signing up to are appropriate for your needs.

Most leases will generally require a minimum three months’ rent up front along with a bond. Many leases will provide you with an option to exit the lease part way through the term, known as a break clause. Consider asking your landlord to agree to one if it isn’t in your lease already.

Public protection

Ryedale District Council, North Yorkshire County Council and Trading Standards teams work in partnership with local businesses, offering a wide range of advisory and regulatory based services to enable them to reach their full potential. Find out more here or contact Ryedale District Council at

Food safety standards

Ryedale District Council provides guidance on food safety standards when starting a food business, from food hygiene and handling to suitable premises and registering your business. Find further information here.

Property classifications

Depending on the property that you are interested in, you may have to apply to Ryedale District Council for change of use to enable you to trade. More information is available here.

You can use this Planning Portal to check that the existing classification of the property matches what you intend to do.

We recommend that you always seek legal advice prior to entering into any agreement on a property that requires you to seek change of use permission.

Commercial planning permission

You can find information on all aspects of the planning process, including when to apply, pre-application advice and guidance for completing an application form, from Ryedale District Council by clicking here.

Depending on the nature of your business, you may need premises. It’s worth thinking through at this stage why you might need them and how will you use them to help you find the best solution for your needs.

Office or shared space: do you need your own office or can you take a desk in a shared space? If you only require space for a few hours per week then you could look at co-working or hot-desk spaces.

Working from home: if you could work from home but would like a professional address then you could take on a virtual office space (remember to amend your home insurance to take into account the fact you are also using it as a place of work).

Commercial premises: if you are looking for retail or commercial premises there are a number of factors to consider, such as footfall if you rely on passing trade, transport links for deliveries and what your budget is. You will also need to take into account the rateable value of the premises: if it is above £12,000 then you will be liable for business rates. Find out more here.


Have a question on setting your own business up? Get in touch


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House
Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Email: Contact the Council

Phone: 01653 600666

Connect with us


Like us on Facebook Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter Twitter
Follow us on Flickr Flickr
 Subscribe to us on Youtube= YouTube
 Connect with us on LinkedIn= LinkedIn