We’re committed to recruiting and developing graduate talent to support the delivery of transformed services and meet our future workforce needs. Through our partnership with North Yorkshire County Council, we provide a two-year graduate development programme to start a rewarding career in local government working here at Ryedale District Council.
Since 2019, we have recruited annually three graduates, with a total of 14 roles, and have achieved a high success rate of providing employment to graduates completing the programme.
The graduate programme has the following features:
- A two-year development programme
- Access to a corporate development offer
- Support with professional development and learning valuable skills
- Join a graduate network with topical talks from senior managers on strategic themes and the opportunity to engage with other graduates on the programme
- Ongoing support from mentors and line manager coaching
- Pay progression against a corporate graduate career grade – starting salary of £19,698 for six months, rising to £20.493 for six months, and then to £22,627 for the final 12 months
Training and development
Our graduate programme integrates training for the operational job role, along with generic training and development opportunities with other graduates, and the in-house training detailed below:
- Aspiring Managers programme
- Middle managers webinar programme
- Access to online training and learning material, including videos and guides including Ashridge Management College
- Graduate network membership, including ‘lunchtime learning’
- Mentor support
- Management skills training if you acquire staff to manage during your programme or to support permanent placement following the graduate programme
What our graduates say
We are very lucky to have truly excellent graduates work with our organisation. We strive to offer our graduates ongoing support in order to help them achieve their maximum potential. We asked some of our current graduates about their experience on our graduate programme and here is what one of them had to say:
Rachel Parks, Graduate Trainee – Waste and Recycling (seconded to Ryedale District Council)
“The North Yorkshire County Council graduate programme has given me the opportunity to work with the Waste and Environment team at Ryedale District Council. I have gained valuable knowledge and experience from working on a number of projects to maintain an efficient waste collection service as well as increase recycling rates.
“I have really enjoyed working with my team who are passionate about protecting the environment and throughout my time have felt well supported. Despite working throughout a pandemic, I have been encouraged to develop my skills through online webinars and training opportunities such as the Aspiring Managers course, which is provided by the council.
“This graduate scheme has been an amazing opportunity and has undoubtedly set me on my future career path in the Waste and Environment sector.”
To find out about current graduate opportunities, in partnership with North Yorkshire County Council, please visit the graduate opportunities page.