Ryedale District Council

Supported and sheltered housing

Sheltered accommodation and supported housing are types of accommodation for older people or people with a disability, which include relevant care and support services.

What is sheltered accommodation?

Sheltered accommodation is a flat or bungalow specially designed and built with the needs of older people, or people with a disability in mind.

There are lots of variations between sheltered housing schemes but they usually provide self-contained accommodation with warden/sheltered housing support services, where help is on hand for support and assistance. Some schemes have communal facilities, such as a communal lounge and laundry facilities.

Find out more about sheltered accommodation with provided by Housing Associations in the district.

What is supported housing?

Supported housing is usually for people with disabilities who need housing-related or care-related support. People can have their own tenancy and may live independently, or three or four people may live at the same address.

What is extra care housing?

Extra care housing offers a way of supporting people to live independently for as long as possible. It provides the security and privacy of a home of your own, a range of facilities on the premises, combined with access to 24-hour care/support services if required. More information is available from North Yorkshire County Council.


There are no articles in this category. If subcategories display on this page, they may contain articles.

Contact us

Main contact links for the Council:

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

We're on Social Networks. Follow us and get in touch.
You are here: Home All services Housing Supported and sheltered housing