Ryedale District Council

Open access land

Some areas of the countryside, whether publicly or privately owned, may be designated as 'access land' which is open to the public for leisure activities.


In England and Wales access authorities have been appointed to manage the opening-up of Access Land to the public. The Access Authority is responsible for identifying potential areas of Access Land and enforcing the opening of these areas; it is also responsible for improving and maintaining access to Access Land, e.g. by installing new gates or causing obstructions to be removed. In National Parks, the Access Authority is the relevant National Park Authority; elsewhere, it is the local highway authority. The Countryside Agency is responsible for maintaining the definitive map of Access Land.

Please note that this service is not provided by Ryedale District Council. Information on this service is provided by North Yorkshire County Council. For further information please visit their website.

Contact us

Main contact links for the Council:

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

We're on Social Networks. Follow us and get in touch.
You are here: Home All services Environment and waste Nature and conservation Open access land