Ryedale District Council

Discretionary Housing Payment

The Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) scheme covers shortfalls between rental liability and payment of Housing Benefit. Every claimant who is entitled to the minimum amount of Housing Benefit and who has a shortfall is entitled to make a claim for help.

If your Housing Benefit is less than your eligible rent, for whatever reason, you will have to make up the difference and pay it to your landlord. If you are struggling to meet the difference between the benefit you have been awarded and your full rent you may be able toPersimmons1 request a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

The Discretionary Housing Fund is designed to provide short-term support for exceptional and unforeseen pressures that affect claimants ability to meet their rent liability which may be a result of changes in the health or the financial position of the members of the household. It is only a limited fund and once it has been used the council does not receive any more money until the next financial year so it is not guaranteed that you will be successful when making a claim.

To make a claim for a Discretionary Housing Payment you will need to complete an online form

The council's revised Discretionary Housing Payment Policy is available to download and provides details of the main features of the DHP scheme and how we will operate it.

For more information, email or telephone Benefits Services on 01653 600666.


Attachments (downloads)
FileNo of pagesFile sizeCreated
Download this file (DHP_Policy_120613.pdf)Discretionary Housing Payments Policy744 kB10-2013

Contact us

Main contact links for the Council:

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

We're on Social Networks. Follow us and get in touch.

Website status

We will report here on any changes to web services.

25 May 2017: We are currently unable to process credit and debit card payments online and over the phone due to an issue with our payment system. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

» Website feedback

You are here: Home All services Council tax and benefits Benefits Discretionary Housing Payment