Private hire operators licence
- Category: Taxi and minicab licensing
- Last Updated: 11 April 2017
A Private Hire vehicle must be pre-booked, cannot pick up passengers off the street or off a rank.
What is Private Hire?
A Private Hire vehicle
- Must be pre-booked
- Cannot pick up passengers off the street or off a rank
- Must display a plate, fastened securely to the rear of the vehicle, stating the district in which you are licensed, the number of passengers you are licensed to carry and details of the vehicle i.e. Private Hire, vehicle registration.
Please read the policy guidelines attached to the application form available from the Taxi Licensing Officer or telephone (01653) 600666.
What is required for an operators licence?
An operators licence is required for each office from which private hire vehicles may operate and lasts for five years. Planning permission may be required before an operator licence can be approved. This can be done by contacting Development management at Ryedale District Council on (01653) 600666. Enquiries should be made before making a licence application.
Fees are charged for vehicle, driver and operator licences. Please see the PDF download for details.
What will happen if I fail to be licensed?
It is a legal requirement to be appropriately licensed and there are several penalties for not being licensed in the appropriate manner. Failing to have the appropriate licences in place can result in criminal prosecution for:
- Failing to hold an operators licence
- Failing to hold a vehicle licence
- Failing to hold a drivers licence
Each offence carries a maximum penalty of £1,000.
Application forms are available to download below.
If you require any further information please email the Taxi Licensing Officer or telephone 01653 600666.