Ryedale District Council

Temporary event notice

The Licensing Act 2003 provided a system for applications to be made for premises to be used for licensable activities on a temporary basis.

Temporary event notice (TEN) licence summary

Notices must be made on the Temporary event notice (TEN) form, available online or to download below.  The TEN 'notification period' must be 10 clear working days prior to the event, not including the day the notice was submitted to us, nor the day of the event itself.

If you submit a paper notice, you must also give a copy to the police no later than 10 clear working days before the event. The cost of a notice is £21.

Licensed activities include;

  • Retail sale of alcohol or supply of alcohol to club members and guests
  • Regulated entertainment
  • Late night refreshment

If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities, notices must be made to each.

Eligibility criteria .

Regulation summary .

Application evaluation process .

How to apply .

Register .

Legislation Summary .

[Back to top]

Eligibility Criteria

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five TEN's per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TEN's per year.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

The notice must be in a specific format.

The notice should detail:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority
  • a statement relating to certain matters
  • any other required information

The matters referred to above are:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times during that period when the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters

[Back to top]

Regulation summary

  • No more than fifteen TENS can be submitted for any one premises (a TEN can run for up to 168 hours)
  • No more than 21 days in total for any one premises can be covered under a TEN (if the event goes past midnight it is classed as two days)
  • No individual can submit more than five TENs, apart from a Personal Licence holder who can submit 50
  • An individual may submit a TEN known as a "Late TEN" up to five full working days before the event however, there is a limit of 2 per user per calendar year. This limit is 10 "Late TENs" for a Personal Licence holder. It should be noted that once this limit of Late TENs is reached (either 2 or 10) then this brings the applicant's allowance for all TENs to an end for that calendar year, regardless of the overall number of applications made
  • There must be a minimum of 24 hours between notices for the same premises
  • No more than 499 persons to be present at the event at any one time

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence - Licensing Act 2003

[Back to top]

Application evaluation process

The TEN must be given in writing on the prescribed form (including by electronic means) to the local authority at least ten clear working days before the event. A fee is payable with the notice. Electronic applications must be submitted via the GOV.UK website.

The local authority will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the second working day at the latest, following the day on which it was received.

Unless an application has been submitted electronically, the premises user must send a copy of the notice to the local Police department and the Council's Environmental Protection Office no later than ten working days before the event period. If you apply online, the Council will forward a copy of the TEN to the Police and Environmental Protection.

If the Chief Police Officer or the Environmental Protection Officer believe that the event would undermine the licensing objectives then an objection notice can be served on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within 3 working days of receipt of the temporary event notice.

The licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. They may issue a counter notice if it is considered necessary for the promotion of the licensing objectives. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

A Police Chief or Environmental Protection Officer may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

For Late TENs, on receipt of the Objection Notice the Council will issue a immediately issue a Counter Notice and the event may not then take place. There will not be a hearing due to time restrictions.

Counter notices may be provided by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TEN's has been exceeded. Counter notices are also served if the notice period for the application has not been observed.

[Back to top]

How long will it take to receive the licence?

Following receipt of the application form and any necessary attachments, including the relevant fee, you can expect to hear from us within 2 days.

If a Police or Environmental Protection Notice is made within 72 hours of a valid TEN being received by the police or environmental protection, a public hearing must be held to determine the TEN, unless it is a Late TEN.

Tacit Consent applies: this means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target period. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period please contact us.

[Back to top]

How to apply

In order to make an application, please apply online or download an application form from the foot of this page.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact the Council in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the Council in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

For further information and advice contact the Licensing Team on 01653 600666.


The Council is required by law to maintain a register containing details of various licences issued. This register can be viewed at the Council Offices during normal office hours (please contact the Licensing Team to arrange an appointment); alternatively it is also available to view online.

Legislation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence. (Link to Home Office website)



Attachments (downloads)
FileNo of pagesFile sizeCreated
Download this file (Guidance_TEN_May_2012.pdf)Guidance on applying for a temporary event notice8105 kB08-2014
Download this file (TEN_Temporary_Event_Notice.docx)TEN application form 20171276 kB01-2016
Download this file (TEN_Temporary_Event_Notice.pdf)TEN application form 201712211 kB01-2016

Contact us

Main contact links for the Council:

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

We're on Social Networks. Follow us and get in touch.