Ryedale District Council

Street cafe licence

Please note that this service is not provided by Ryedale District Council. Information on this service is provided by North Yorkshire County Council.

North Yorkshire County Council will provide information on licensing of street cafes. The County Council will ensure that any legislation is complied with.

However, if you wish to place any tables, chairs or parasols on any part of the highway it is likely you will need planning permission. A highway includes not only roads but also footways and verges.

Are there any rules?

Planning permission must be granted before a licence for a street cafe can be given. Please note, the street cafe licence is separate to the planning process and the granting of planning permission does not automatically guarantee that a street cafe licence will be given. Public liability insurance is also required.

For further information contact Development Control on 01653 600666.


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us