Ryedale District Council

Greyhound racing track licence

If an operator of a greyhound track wishes to offer betting facilities on a sporting event, then there are various forms of "approval" available, one of which must be obtained if betting is to be provided.

  • a premises licence
  • a permit in the form of a temporary use notice
  • or an occasional use notice

There are no exemptions to this requirement, irrespective of whether betting is generally incidental to the main sporting activity.

Under s.33(2) of The Gambling Act 2005, only licensed betting operators may accept bets or provide facilities for gambling.

The Gambling Commission is responsible for issuing operator licences and supervising the operation of betting. A betting track licence permits the premises to be used for the provision of facilities for betting and must be applied for from the local authority.

There are no greyhound racing tracks in Ryedale at the moment.

Contact us

Main contact links for the Council:

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

We're on Social Networks. Follow us and get in touch.

Website status

We will report here on any changes to web services.

25 May 2017: We are currently unable to process credit and debit card payments online and over the phone due to an issue with our payment system. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

» Website feedback

You are here: Home All services Business and economy Licensing and regulation Food, alcohol and entertainment licensing Greyhound racing track licence