Ryedale District Council

Garden waste collections are not affected by the bank holiday. All other collections will be one day late.
More information available here

Pet shop licence

To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from the local authority. This includes any commercial sales of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.


Eligibility Criteria

Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence.

Application Evaluation Process

Local authorities must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:

  • that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness;
  • adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals;
  • that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young;
  • that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals;
  • that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place.

Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.

How long will it take to receive the licence?

Following receipt of the application form and any necessary attachments including the relevant fee, you can expect to hear from us within 60 days.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

[Back to top]

Apply online

Apply to run a pet shop.


Fees Page: fees will be payable for applications.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact the local authority in the first instance.

Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to the Magistrates court covering the area the premises is located. A court may give directions on the issue of a licence.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the local authority in the first instance.

Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the local Magistrates Court covering the area the premises is located. A court may give directions on the issue of a condition.

[Back to top]

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens advice consumer helpline will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

For example about noise or pollution etc. contact the local authority (noise/pollution report form).

Trade Associations

Please use the link on the right.

For further information, contact the Licensing Department on 01653 600666 ext 208.


Attachments (downloads)
FileNo of pagesFile sizeCreated
Download this file (Pet_Shop_Licence_Conditions.pdf)Pet shop - standard licence conditions934 kB11-2013

Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us


Website status

Due to a system update the planning online register will be unavailable for two days from Wednesday 23 August 2017
Apologies for an inconvenience this may cause